Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,795   Online: 692

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Contact sheet? That's one of the reasons I got a film scanner. A contact sheet alone was over $15. They are such a rip off. The customer service has gone down the drain also.
    Amazing. For 12 CDN$ = 9.96 USD you would get your C-41 rolls developped with a contact sheet. Compared to 9 + 15 = 24 USD, you could even mail it back and forth and still save money...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a used Phototherm Sidekick for about $300.00 which does virtually most normal process, in 35, medium format and 4 x 5, and you can do B&W, C41 and E-6 in the same machine, with chemicals and such it runs about $1.25 for a roll of E-6 35, I also picked up a slide mounter for under $100.00 and the local shop sold me 5000 mounts for $65.00 so it actually comes up pretty cheap...

http://www.phototherm.com

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Ara, I have never done any E6 films. I have, more than 30 years ago, done C41. C41 is not nearly as difficult as one might expect from reading the processing instructions. If you have never compounded your own developers etc and if your reaction to doing so is the same as mine you will find it satisfying to do so. Who knows you may have the spirit of Jdef lurking inside of you. Dear God, we could end up with 67 new b&W developers within the next year...what a nice thought.

I have posted twice before and will post once again if asked the Dignan D-41 developer which is a divided C41 developer variant done at 75ºF. It has very good temperature tolerance and an outstanding shelf life and costs next to nothing. Some kits for C41 have a combined bleach fix (blix). Kodak has seperate steps. The fix step can be regular rapid fixer. If you want I could look up the formula for making the bleach. The bleaching is an important step in that you must remove 100% of the silver but one can not over bleach so that if the time was three times as long as necessary no harm would be done. I would be certain, since you are well known to produce some gems, to not skimp on the stabilizing. You need not buy an extremely expensive scale. Few are the ingredients that require precision of greater the .1 grams. For those few that are you could buy a handloaders scale at a gun shop which will read in grains..there are 453.8 grams per pound. There are two different weight classes for grains the one involved here is 7000 per pound. So if you (7000/453.8)xthe weight called for you would know how many grains to substitute. I am somewhat vague, never having been to Rhode Island, as to whether your arithmetic works the same as it does in here in Wisconsin but I think it does...it may even give smaller measures more accurately.

Many chemicals become much cheaper by buying in quantity. I do not know if an old sourpuss, such as yourself, has any photo friends, or any friends for that matter but you can save some real bucks by combining purchases.

I can not guarantee you that making your own chemistry is more fun than making love but it should not require any of the expensive little blue pills.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    You don't need a colour analyzer -- just your eyes
    You must have incredible eyes! After I purchased a Durst color analyser my prints had a consistent color balance and density that they were previously lacking. Made printing more enjoyable when I was doing color.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    You need not buy an extremely expensive scale. Few are the ingredients that require precision of greater the .1 grams. For those few that are you could buy a handloaders scale at a gun shop which will read in grains..there are 453.8 grams per pound. There are two different weight classes for grains the one involved here is 7000 per pound. So if you (7000/453.8)xthe weight called for you would know how many grains to substitute.
    I handload. My scale is an Ohaus 0 -500? With a capacity of 500 grains, and 0.1 grain resolution. Next on my list will be a RCBS "digital" - greater capacity, same resolution, with the capability to shift to metric units.

Lest anyone working with gunpowder get confused and start throwing pieces of rifle/ pistol action metal around ... There are 7000 grains to one pound. That works out to 437.5 grains per ounce, and 28.35 grams per ounce; 15.43 grains per gram.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The color developing agents are relatives of paraphenylenediamine and are therefore capable of causing severe allergic reactions. Potassium dichromate used in some bleach formulas can cause skin irritation. Other ingredients like hydroxylamine are known carcinogens. The use of rubber gloves is strongly advised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I have posted twice before and will post once again if asked the Dignan D-41 developer which is a divided C41 developer variant done at 75ºF. It has very good temperature tolerance and an outstanding shelf life and costs next to nothing.
    I'd be interested in seeing this. I haven't yet gotten around to doing my own color processing, but I do want to at least try it, and something that's less fiddly about temperature than most sounds appealing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    It costs me about .50 a roll in chems
    Wow! My local lab to do 120 just shut down, do you take mail-order requests
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm
    OK. I will write an article about the process. I will do it now. It should take perhaps a 1/2 hour or more. I am not going to put it into this thread because as an article it will work better as a reference.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Wow! My local lab to do 120 just shut down, do you take mail-order requests

I need to check that price but I believe on an 8 roll run I use about .20 in dev .30 in bleach per roll. I don't add in Fix, stab or nitrogen because they are so cheap.

If you don't mind waiting around a week or two or if you ever have a lot that you'ld like souped I could be convinced -- OTOH I would hate to trash one of your rolls or god forbid 8 of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin