Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,608   Online: 1271

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2x3 film availability

Hi folks,

Are there any color films available in 2x3? There are times when the baby Technika would be usefully smaller/quicker (with the RF) than the Shen Hao, but not if I include the Super Rollex RFH, which weighs a ton, not to mention the GG/RFH shuffle (if you're using the GG). I know about J&C for B/W, but I can't find anything in color, and I'm not really set up to cut down a larger sheet.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hmmm, not a good sign...

I just thought of this question today, searched, didn't find anything, and came here to post a question, only to find Davet's question already posted.

I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if 120/220 film can be cut down. If it's truly 61.5 mm wide, this is 2.42" and I don't know (yet) if it fits. I can find out when I get home.

Oh, wait, I see this question was just posted. I thought it was 2004, but that was Davet's join date.

OK, I feel better there aren't alot of answers yet.
    Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    Hmmm, not a good sign...
    I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if 120/220 film can be cut down. If it's truly 61.5 mm wide, this is 2.42" and I don't know (yet) if it fits. I can find out when I get home.
    I don't think so, it's pretty narrower from what I recall. Plus, it's definitely thinner: a party for planity problems.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best would be to cut 5x7 into 4 pieces. Check the measurements out before you buy the film but I think that works. Considering how little colour is sold in 5x7 I wouldn't be too hopefull for 2x3.

Is the Tech 2x3? Or 6.5x9?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Good question, and I suppose it all depends on the back. But 6.5x9cm is the "standard metric" size, used on old folders like the VAG.

I have a funny little "ARCAP" Combination Double Film Holder here, the packaging claims it "will hold two films of any of the following sizes: 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, 6.5 x 9 cm, and 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 plates".

I suppose it works - haven't got round to trying it on a camera yet.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not seen any color film in the 2x3 size. I use an Adapt-A-Roll for in my Busch Pressman C and have been happy with it. It doesn't weigh all that much and doesn't add a lot of bulk, certainly no more than carrying several 2x3 sheet film holders would anyway. Having said that, if you do find color 2x3 sheet film please let me know
    Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Good question, I've only ever used the Super Rollex with it (when I got it, even BW was hard to find in 2x3/6x9) I've a manual somewhere, maybe it'll resurface one day ... anyway, I've only 2 real beefs (beeves?) with the SR back: it makes the kit heavy enough that you might as well carry a larger format, and the GG/RFH thing is distinctly clunky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 2 Graflex rollfim holders (6X9) for my 2X3 Mini Speed and 2 to fit my 4X5 cameras. I haven't seen 2X3 color film is a long, long, looooong time!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    "beeves" - I like that. That's better than beefuses...I'll stop using that term.

220 Agfa sample I grabbed (no reason it would be any different) was WAY too wide to fit 2-1/4x3-1/4 holder, eyeball 3-4 mm too wide. I suppose two cuts aren't much worse than 1 if you have a sharp tool.

I bought some recently outdated 4x5 Ektachrome 64 on eBay to play with (cause I can't afford to play with the fresh stuff), and considered it to cut down too. I have 2 rolls of Agfa 160 in 220 left; I finally learned to stop trying to plug light leaks in 120 cameras. It was fun while it lasted in a Moskva V with the 6x6 mask further masked down to 645...got about 27 exposures hand counting turns, just too many leaks.

Next question is whether a lab can handle 2x3 color without clogging the machine...is this where a so-called 'dip & dunk' lab is desirable? I don't know exactly what's meant by that.

I found no color in the list of various brands at J&C, which was where I thought it might turn up, if anywhere.
    Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How would you develop it? (Nobody else would) Sounds like a royal pain in the butt to me. Rollfilm is such an elegant solution. Better enjoy it while it's still here. I bought a bunch of Type J single sheet holders for the Mamiya one time. Shot half a dozen. Figured out they don't fit into anything for development (Jobo 2500 series) and they're in the freezer to this day. I need to put those holders on feebay.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin