Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,846   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Stupid which film is better question

I do not like neg color film. Not because it is worse than Slide or anything like that but because I can't read neg film. The orangeness of it keeps me from interpreting the colors. I like transparencies because what I see on the slide is what I see on the slide. I can take it to the printer and say match the slide. If I said that about a neg I would get an orange POS. I feel I am in less control with Negative color film.

So what Slide film deals with people the best? My new one will be here very soon and I want to be better prepared than the last time. BW no problem. Color on the other hand is stumping me.

From what I have seen Astia does real well, but those were only in magazines. I have not seen anything done with other films beside Velvia. I accidentally shot some pictures of my son with velvia and was not impressed.

All images will be shot with available light at wide aperatures.

I know this is personal but I want opinions and reasons. Thanks.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have been shooting Kodak E100G and processing in Agfa "Process 44" and love it.

The colours are vibrant - reminds me of the colour spreads in National Geographic - though their photographers aren't half as good as I am ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest Fuji Astia or Kodak Elitechrome. The elitechrome is a "consumer" level slide film that is both cheap (in comparison to Kodak's other offerings) and works very well with skin tones. These are both daylight/flash balanced films, though--will these shots be available light from the sun or artificial, because that would make a big difference.

I also liked Provia in the Fuji slide category; it gives a little more snap in the colors than Astia, but renders skin tones quite well.

I have personally shot all of the above films.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I would suggest Fuji Astia or Kodak Elitechrome. The elitechrome is a "consumer" level slide film that is both cheap (in comparison to Kodak's other offerings) and works very well with skin tones. These are both daylight/flash balanced films, though--will these shots be available light from the sun or artificial, because that would make a big difference.

I also liked Provia in the Fuji slide category; it gives a little more snap in the colors than Astia, but renders skin tones quite well.

I have personally shot all of the above films.

I've never really been into slides before, but would be tempted if I wanted to do any color shooting. I've got some Kodachrome slides of me in 1962 that still look like they were shot & processed yesterday (well.. I don't look like I do in '62, although some folks might be inclined to say I occasionally act like it ;) ).

I notice at B&H, Kodachrome is still available, though from other apug threads I know that only one lab still processes Kodachrome, and Kodak outsources to them. B&H's price on Kodachrome-64 is US$6, US$12 for Kodachrome-64 pro (both 135-36) and US$9 for a mailer to process via Kodak (who actually, if memory serves, ships it to a non-Kodak lab in Montana, US).

How do people project slides nowadays? I take it the old Kodak Carasells (sp..) are defunct and pretty much eBay only.

Just ignore if there's a risk of hijaacking Mark's thread. This just reminded me that I had some slide questions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    So what Slide film deals with people the best? My new one will be here very soon and I want to be better prepared than the last time. BW no problem. Color on the other hand is stumping me.

From what I have seen Astia does real well, but those were only in magazines. I have not seen anything done with other films beside Velvia. I accidentally shot some pictures of my son with velvia and was not impressed.
    Velvia is definetely the wrong choice for taking pictures of people, the skin tones are horrible - the film is designed for landscapes. Astia 100F is supposed to be the best for doing portraits; you may also want to try Provia 100F to see if you like it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Ektachrome E200 as an all-round film for people. It pushes and pulls well, has a fairly neutral colour balance, a comparatively low contrast and the right sharpness/graininess for my preferences. If that isn't fast enough, then EPH is the stuff (Ektachrome P1600 - it needs a two-stop push to reach EI 1600) in 35 mm.

Indoors, in incandescent light, I use Ektachrome 320T (EPJ, only available in 35 mm - 160T EPT is the fastest in 120) pushed as many stops as necessary. Household incandescent lights being generally below the 3200 K that EPJ is intended for, I use a KB6 (Wratten 80D) filter for improving the colour balance.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For people, Astia 100F is a great choice, and for tungsten, I'll agree with Helen on Ektachrome 320T in 35mm. Provia is a little punchier than Astia without being excessive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Astia F is a very nice transparency film. IMO if you want analog color prints than you are going to be better off with a negative film. I certainly hope that you are not going to scan slides so that you can use an inkjet printer to make prints,,,that is just to sad to contemplate.
    Last edited by Claire Senft; 07-16-2005 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I certainly hope that you are not going to scan slides so that you can use an inkhet printer to make prints,,,that is just to sad to contemplate.
    Ick. No. I am avoiding the Negs just because I can't read them.

I will look for the films listed and probably get a selection of the two. I will be shooting 35mm-4x5 so my options are open. Thought I would try some handheld 4x5 color shots of the new little human.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consistent handling, printing and working with color negatives, it will soon become nearly as easy to read them as a B&W neg. Just takes a little practice to see the actual density rather than it's color. Don't give up, keep
    working at it, it will come!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin