Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,904   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Trying to find a lab which prints big colour enlargements......

[FONT=Arial]...in the UK, preferably in Scotland, and even better in Glasgow!

I print my own up to 16x12 in my Fujimoto printer, but have to send out bigger work to a pro' lab who just scans my neg' and then makes a crappy big di**tal print......

When they were changing over from optical prints to di**tal I even brought in one of each of the same image they printed for me in each process.
    The optical one was clearly a million times better, but what have they stuck with?!

What kind of progress is that meant to be?![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyoldford
    [FONT=Arial]...in the UK, preferably in Scotland, and even better in Glasgow!

I print my own up to 16x12 in my Fujimoto printer, but have to send out bigger work to a pro' lab who just scans my neg' and then makes a crappy big di**tal print......

When they were changing over from optical prints to di**tal I even brought in one of each of the same image they printed for me in each process.
    The optical one was clearly a million times better, but what have they stuck with?!

What kind of progress is that meant to be?![/FONT]
    I use West Coast Imaging, but they are in California (they do work for photographers all over the world). They can do Fuji Crystal Archive prints to 40x50 or Epson (not sure of the sizes). See: http://www.westcoastimaging.com/
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes ... agree with West Coast Imaging. They do fantastic work with color and black and white.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OOOPS!!!
    Sorry just noticed I've posted this in the B+W section!

Just had a look at the West Coast site, I get the impression that they scan the negs and then somehow expose the paper with LEDs?!

Does nobody just use a colour enlarger anymore?!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That is correct; they scan and print on a Chromira (which uses LED's). The prints are done on Fuji Crystal Archive which is a true photo paper (RA4).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How big? If it's 20x24 or less why not just pick up a big Jobo drum. It won't take more then two commerical prints to pay for the 3063 drum. If you're printing that big often you could pay for a Jobo processor and the drum pretty quickly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OOOPS!!!
    Sorry just noticed I've posted this in the B+W section!
    I moved the thread to the color section.

West Coast Imaging does fine work, even if it's digital.

There are a number of New York pro labs that continue to offer optical color printing. I usually use Modernage for work that I don't do myself (www.modernage.com). Duggal is another option (www.duggal.com) and for Ilfochromes try iChrome Editions (www.cloneachrome.com).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In London, I have used:
    http://www.primary-colour.com/
    http://www.metroimaging.co.uk/

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Does nobody just use a colour enlarger anymore?!
    I still do :-) But alas, my lab is in Arizona, USA. www.cibachrome.com

One thing I can assure you is that there is someone in your country that is still dedicated to traditional photographic processes as we are. We have found that there is somewhat of a back lash against digital printing technologies and many photographers are swithcing back from digital or looking for a new lab because their lab stopped doing traditional prints.

Don't give up looking for a lab in UK! Good Luck.

Corey

Images
    Sorry Rusty, but

Corey are you guys open on weekends? Seems to be the only time I make it to Flagstaff. You two come highly recomended. Very highly.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin