Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,518   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to San Francisco in August and I plan on bulk loading film into plastic cannisters. Do you think there would be a difference in exposure between plastic and metal cannisters?
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seriously, I'm concerned about xray exposure being greater for plastic cannisters. Any comments?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Seriously, I'm concerned about xray exposure being greater for plastic cannisters. Any comments?
    Sorry. I don't have any experience with the plastic cans. If you're really concerned, perhaps you could stow the film in some kind of metal box? A coffee can would be quite a bit heavier metal than that used for 35mm canisters. I guess it depends on how much film you're planning to carry though.

San Francisco is a very modern and well supplied city. There are several well stocked stores here. Why not simply purchase what you need when you get here?

Alternatively, you could send all your film ahead of you via Fed-Ex. They will not x-ray that which is declared as film (or, so they say). There are a bunch of us living here in the SF Bay area. I am sure any of us would be happy to receive you film. I don't get into the city very often but, am happy to help in this fashion if you wish....send me a PM if that is what you want to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dont think that Xray should be a problem for bw film because xray is below the ultraviolet the wave length that panchromatic film just touches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Mutch
    I dont think that Xray should be a problem for bw film because xray is below the ultraviolet the wave length that panchromatic film just touches.
    You know, that's a great explaination. Thanks. I was bulk loading APX100, so obviously it won't be affected.

Brads,
    Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. I'm going to take your advice and buy color film from Calumet in SF. Can you think of any other place in town that is worth going to? Plus, do you know of a good lab for processing that is also fairly inexpensive. I figure I might as well process in SF since you guys probably have better labs than Rhode Island.
    Ara

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Please look under my gallery for an image I posted of an ocean scene. It was 100 speed film that went thru the carryon scanner at an airport scanner ONE TIME! It has very distinct scan bars through the whole photograph.

They say it will not hurt anything below 800...WELL IT CLEARLY RUINED A WHOLE BOX OF 8x10 sheet film in 100 speed!

Dont trust those people. Just send your film by mail where it is not scanned with Xrays.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    <...snip> Brads,
    Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. I'm going to take your advice and buy color film from Calumet in SF. Can you think of any other place in town that is worth going to? Plus, do you know of a good lab for processing that is also fairly inexpensive. I figure I might as well process in SF since you guys probably have better labs than Rhode Island.
    Ara

Ara, I live about sixty miles east of the city and I don't often make the trek...except by Bart. I've been to Calumet a few times. It is a nice store and relatively easy to find. Definitely worth a visit. There must be a few hundred camera / film stores in the city. Most cater to the tourist crowd (which can be very substantial on the weekends) and really don't merit much more than a casual glance. All of 'em still sell 35mm color print film though! There is another big pro camera store in SF that I am aware of but have never visited - Adolph Gassers. Their web site is (or, was) perfectly horrid...so bad in fact that I can't bring myself to even think about shopping there.

I deal mainly with Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto. They have everything. Their pricing is kinda strange however. They seem to be competetive with the big NY houses on anything they think is "professional" but, they really sock it to ya on the consumer stuff. So, for example, they want $8.00 or so for a 36 exp roll of Fuji Superia X-tra (Walmat sells this stuff for something like $10 for four rolls of 24exp) but, a box of 4x5 Sheet film - anybox will be priced almost exactly at the same price as it is at B&H or Adorama....go figure. Two stores on the same block - they have everything! Try to avoid the place at lunch time on weekdays as it is filled with silicon valley tech geeks (like me).

While you are in town, do be sure to visit the SF Museum of Modern Art. Get there early! The Oakland museum, accross the bay, is also very worthwhile.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    oh, labs...you asked about those too. I don't know of any in the city but am certain there are more than a few. Perhaps, somebody who lives closer in will chime in? If you're shooting slides, Calypso Imaging is down in Sunnyvale - kinda a long way from SF but, worth the effort. Their prices are fantastic and they do fabulous work. (they have a huge Galen Rowell print on the wall at one end of the counter too ). There are few noteworthy labs across the bay in Oakland and Berkeley too...but, I get up that way even less than I do into the city.
    Last edited by BradS; 08-02-2005 at 08:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can you think of any other place in town that is worth going to? Plus, do you know of a good lab for processing that is also fairly inexpensive.
    You can try Looking Glass in Berkeley 510-548-6888 - I was teasing them about having Pyrocat HD, and Aggie went and pulled some off the shelf. Calypso for processing film, is a good choice - I use them for all my sheet film processing.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While departing from the Detroit airport earlier this summer I asked for a hand inspection of my 120 roll film. The tsa chick said i needed to remove the packaging from all rolls. I stated that this has never happened to me before and it shouldn't if tsa rules are a nationwide standard. She said that she was a former professional photographer and it was necessesary. She said i could look online to find out how to reseal the packages! I didn't want not so fresh film so i put it through the scanner. Anyone else had this happen?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin