Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,047   Online: 981

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've just taken some Velvia 50 iso 4x5 sheets for their second trip around the world. They must have been through 25 hand baggage check machines before being processed, and they suffered no ill effects what-so-ever.

YMMV, but mine went for 44,000 miles .....
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    While departing from the Detroit airport earlier this summer I asked for a hand inspection of my 120 roll film. The tsa chick said i needed to remove the packaging from all rolls. I stated that this has never happened to me before and it shouldn't if tsa rules are a nationwide standard. She said that she was a former professional photographer and it was necessesary. She said i could look online to find out how to reseal the packages! I didn't want not so fresh film so i put it through the scanner. Anyone else had this happen?

Long story but, in a nut shell...yes. Each airport and even different crews working the same airport seem to deal with the hand inspection request a little differently. You did the right thing. There is no point in arguing with these people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    While departing from the Detroit airport earlier this summer I asked for a hand inspection of my 120 roll film. The tsa chick said i needed to remove the packaging from all rolls.
    I had the EXACT same TSA lady at DTW! Because of that experience, I now de-package all my 120 rolls (if I don't buy them at the location I am going to) and place them in clear plastic zip lock bags for easy inspection.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just worried that they may look at the bulk rolls of film and think I'm smuggling drugs or something. The film leader will be sticking out the side, but you could always fake it and smuggle a gram of something in each cannister. I don't want to buy the film in SF and have it shipped back. The whole point of bulk loading was to save money. I hate taking chances with film that you could never replace once shot.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    I'm just worried that they may look at the bulk rolls of film and think I'm smuggling drugs or something. The film leader will be sticking out the side, but you could always fake it and smuggle a gram of something in each cannister. I don't want to buy the film in SF and have it shipped back. The whole point of bulk loading was to save money. I hate taking chances with film that you could never replace once shot.
    Ara
    Ara,
    Easy solution. Leave the bulk film in the metal can in which it came. Send it through the carry on luggage x-ray machine with the rest of your carry on items. Roll the film into the plastic canisters when you get here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We went to Europe two years ago flew on British Air and United. Took 16 rolls of color and B&W. At the airport when we tried to have them hand check it they opened all the boxes and the canisters and then ran it thru the xray machine. we put the film in our checked luggage for the return trip and when we got it developed back home it was all fogged. the high spd asa 400 and 800 were worse than the asa 100 rolls.

We should have had the film processed in europe and jsut not worried about the expense.
    What is "Art"? Art is what I decide it is!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dsisaacs
    we put the film in our checked luggage for the return trip and when we got it developed back home it was all fogged. the high spd asa 400 and 800 were worse than the asa 100 rolls.
    Putting your film in checked luggage is the worst thing you can do; the xray machines are different from those use for hand carried luggage, and much more destructive as you found out. Next time, just hand carry it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm

X-ray machines

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Putting your film in checked luggage is the worst thing you can do; the xray machines are different from those use for hand carried luggage, and much more destructive as you found out. Next time, just hand carry it.
    That's right. But what do I do when my request for a hand-search is denied and I have to obey to the authority while going through the inspection with my carry-on luggage? I hear some people say, if you submit your film separately before walking through the detector, they will check it without scanning, but I don't get that kind of luck when I travel abroad.

My film, 400 ASA survived at the airport in Istanbul less than two years ago, but I got really concerned when I had to give up my rights and let the inspection guys scan it twice. I understand that they're extremely alert because that was only a couple of months after terrorism took place. But what was really scary for me was when I saw them turning up the level of scanning to see what it was without asking me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    That's right. But what do I do when my request for a hand-search is denied and I have to obey to the authority while going through the inspection with my carry-on luggage? I hear some people say, if you submit your film separately before walking through the detector, they will check it without scanning, but I don't get that kind of luck when I travel abroad.
    Every country is different of course, but in the US you have a right to have your film hand inspected; if the inspector refuses, ask to see his or her supervisor. But, first try to make it easy for the inspector; remember they don't want to waste time with you. If you are carrying 35mm, remove the film from the boxes, and put them in a plastic bag.

If I'm carrying 400 ASA or lower, I don't even bother; I've run my film through the carry on inspection numerious times, with no problems.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=roteague]Every country is different of course, but in the US you have a right to have your film hand inspected; if the inspector refuses, ask to see his or her supervisor. But, first try to make it easy for the inspector; remember they don't want to waste time with you. If you are carrying 35mm, remove the film from the boxes, and put them in a plastic bag.

Which, I did. Sometimes with or without a x-ray protection bag. But in situations like where by the time you reach that point of inspection, you're shoe-less and standing without your belt on so you're holding up your pants with your hand, and you look behind you, there's a long line and that makes you real conscious about how not to waste anyone's time there, and then your request for a hand-search is being denied completely, what will you do?

This is not hypothetical, but often true even a few years back in the U.S., where I once shared a moment of fear with a 80 year-old(or very old) woman who's frightened by the security force and we both went speechless.

And a very similar approach has been taken by the security forces at the airports in some other countries as well ever since.

Also, at that time in the U.S., my friends all warned me not to even try to bring any film and think I could get passed without any damage. Indeed, my friends had just had a bunch of undeveloped film rolls mostly 400 ASA all baked at the airport by the x-ray machine at the inspection for his carry-on luggage. So, I got very skeptical.

By the way, Istanbul in early 2004 was, continuing from my past post, due to the previous terror attack, just as hastle as any major cities in the U.S. as I remember of. That's what I wanted to say.

But my focus is overseas(outside the U.S.), where your common knowledge doesn't apply and you may not practice your rights. How do you fellow film photographers get by and bring their film safe home from the countries that are rough on them? Is is just that FedEx and its affiliates do the job? But they are often not in any convenient locations outside the U.S. and the most of the cities abroad.

How about traveling to the Middle East? For instance, to fly in and out of Israel, which I'm planning to do in the near future for my photography for the first time, what should I be prepared for?

Sorry to drag this issue a bit, but if anyone could start posting their replies with their experiences with more specific details(location/airport, year, situation, etc), that would be wonderful. Doesn't have to be real specific though as long as others can get a good sense of what it is like and be able to clarify the uncertainty a bit at each location.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin