Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,976   Online: 893

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

X-ray airport-Film

More security on airports and increasing dosis of X ray to detect bombs ... I would like to buy film in USA, much cheaper than in Belgium. Is color and B&W film equally sensitive ? 100 ASA less sensitive than 400 ASA ? Polaroid film ?
    Should I clear the goods at customs when leaving USA ? At what rate if I declare it ?

Yours

Bernard Bonte

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't bother declaring film at customs. Just a waste of money. They have no idea where you bought it.

Any film below 1600 should be fine for carry-on. DO NOT PUT FILM IN YOUR LUGGAGE! They use much more powerful scanners (akin to a CAT scan) and they WILL toast your film. But for carry-on, no problem.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format

I've got...

...4 rolls of APX in 35mm which went with me to Chile and back in february.
    It went through carry on luggage scanners 8 times.
    I haven't got round to using it(I took it with me as an experiment to see how much damage x-rays do to film,which is why I brought it back unused),but when I do,I'll post the results.
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BBonte
    More security on airports and increasing dosis of X ray to detect bombs ... I would like to buy film in USA, much cheaper than in Belgium. Is color and B&W film equally sensitive ? 100 ASA less sensitive than 400 ASA ? Polaroid film ?
    Should I clear the goods at customs when leaving USA ? At what rate if I declare it ?

Yours

Bernard Bonte
    1) how much film are you talking about?

You may not have to declare--but if you do, wouldn't it be at your port of entry to the EU rather than leaving the US?

2) X-rays. I took a trip about 12 years ago where I went through about 15 x-ray machines. It even got scanned in New Dehli *leaving* the airport. I noticed no fogging at all. I don't know if they have increased the dose x-ray scanners give since then. I would actually expect it to have gone down (except for homeland security).

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took about 200 rolls of film to Mexico. The stuff I brought home was x-rayed 4 times. I've shot a whole lot of since getting back and it is just fine.

Don't worry about it and don't mention it to customs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film damaged by X-Ray has happened to me, it can happen to you. It probably won't. But it might.

Here is the straight story:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1035.xml

Please read this:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.shtml

The security at US airports has improved measureably from the year or two after 9/11. The agents have actually been trained, and know what traveler's rights are.
    How you conduct yourself has direct bearing on how your film will be handled. Go through security early enough that a hand inspection will not hinder you. Pack simply. Think it out ahead of time.

How you deal with You will declare the film when you get home. Customs is your business.

You may also order film from B&H, and have it sent to you.

Yours,

Don
    "This suspense is terrible ! I hope it lasts."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BBonte

Yours

Bernard Bonte
    Bernard,

You don't have to clear anything when you leave the US; when you return home you will have to deal with EU customs. Film speed in the US is the same as film speed in the EU.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    This image in the technical gallery was made on film that had passed through the xray machine four times and, here is an example on Delta 3200 that was x-rayed twice. YMMV, but I don't really think that there is much to worry about - at least, not with B&W film.
    Last edited by BradS; 07-25-2005 at 03:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Brad. BTW, I don't think the US Dept. of Agriculture machines are x-ray machines - we have them here, and everyone travelling to the mainland US must go through them. They are used to check to see if you have any plants in your luggage.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Thanks Brad. BTW, I don't think the US Dept. of Agriculture machines are x-ray machines - we have them here, and everyone travelling to the mainland US must go through them. They are used to check to see if you have any plants in your luggage.
    YEs, I suppose you are correct. I never gave it much thought...just assumed. You know. Come to think of it, they were much bigger than the machines at the security check points. Thanks Robert.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin