Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,550   Online: 916

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cibachrome possibilities with fading transparencies

I'd like to make prints from some of my father's transparencies. They were taken in the 50's and 60's around the Amalfi Coast in Italy. They've started to fade a fair bit, and I was wondering if there was any hope of having cibachromes made from these?

From what I gather, cibachromes are quite contrasty to begin with - would a faded tranny gain some punch in this situation?

My last resort, of course, would be to scan them on the Imacon, but I'd really rather not go that route unless there's no other options.

Thanks for your help!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would suggest you scan them and work on them to your satisfaction.
    Then make a lambda cibachrome (boy I didn,t say the D word). We can do it , I believe Lamount Imaging in New York , can do it and others in Europe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Buonocore
    I'd like to make prints from some of my father's transparencies. They were taken in the 50's and 60's around the Amalfi Coast in Italy. They've started to fade a fair bit, and I was wondering if there was any hope of having cibachromes made from these?

From what I gather, cibachromes are quite contrasty to begin with - would a faded tranny gain some punch in this situation?

My last resort, of course, would be to scan them on the Imacon, but I'd really rather not go that route unless there's no other options.

Thanks for your help!
    Well, of course there are other options. Why not just try printing a few and see how it works- have a Ciba lab try it for you if you arent set up for it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One issue with aging slides is that they don't fade evenly and tend to show color casts that may require variable corrections in shadows and highlights. This kind of repair can be done with film by making B&W color separations and masking each layer, but it's a lot easier to do with the method Bob Carnie suggests and printing out to Ilfochrome or Fuji Crystal Archive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    However, last time it was available under the name "Ilfochrome Classic", cibachrome came in three different contrast grades from which one could choose from.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin