Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,910   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    *Bump*
    I am a beginner in film development. But according to logic i feel dilution should work. You will have to increase the time though. Ofcourse the challenge is to find the correct time to get the right colour balance.
    I maybe wrong but I really need to know this so started this thread again. Has anybody else done this with acceptable results?

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d.php?p=451891

The above link tell that the times can be increased with no top layer over development and bottom layer underdevelopment. This has to be tried. I would have tried if i had a darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F80p View Post
    *Bump*
    I am a beginner in film development. But according to logic i feel dilution should work. You will have to increase the time though. Ofcourse the challenge is to find the correct time to get the right colour balance.
    I maybe wrong but I really need to know this so started this thread again. Has anybody else done this with acceptable results?
    You may be able to make this work in practical terms but I see little point in the exercise.

The "fresh mix" and "replenishment" rates are essentially the same for a given number of rolls. The difference is only in whether you add starter and water.

I started in C-41 with the CPAC/Trebla 55fp475 kit plus a bottle of C-41 starter, ~ $75 plus shipping.

Mini lab supply houses like Liberty, Pakor and Armadillo Photo can provide these kits or similar. These places expect you to be knowledgeable about what you want.

If I remember correctly the CPAC/Trebla kit can technically do about 300 36exp rolls. I planned on half that. That is a lot more than Tetenal and the others small retail kits can do.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just reviewed my 68 and 75 F processes of C41 films and find that I should amend my last posts, or at least add to them.

It is true that the C41 system does not perform well at these temperatures "As Is", but they might perform better when diluted and with extended times. I have only used 20 - 30 minutes at low temp with undiluted developers. I have used a post development soak as well, with poor results.

It is also true that you should not dilute C41 and try the 100F process with extended times. I might amend this with enough evidence to the contrary.

Therefore, it appears that you probably can dilute the developer and extend the time and get good results. But, here are my caveats..... There were no normal check examples in the references given here and there was no temperature given in those same examples.

With that in mind, it may warrant further examination.

Remember though that the printing or scanning process can remove a lot of "defects" from the original negative and lead us to incorrect conclusions and therefore reference "correctly processed" negatives of the same scene are needed to make a convincing argument.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had some success with semi stand dev and diluted C-41 developer as you've linked above. I detail it in the tags, it was 9+1 dilution (ie 50ml of C-41 developer to 450ml water to make up 500ml IIRC), and I semi-stand developed for 45 minutes with a couple of inversions at the 30 minute mark. Medium format gave me good results, colour balance was out though naturally, although not un-correctably, and it was quite contrasty. 35mm was another story.

This gives the few that I have up from that roll of portra that I ran through the above process.
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=3158...ent+120&m=text

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And the temperature?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And the temperature?
    It was a room temperature stand dev, so roughly 20c or slightly under I suppose ? Not too sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The developer capacity is 10 sheets per liter. You're already pushing it don't hurt the poor film anymore.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daire Quinlan View Post
    I've had some success with semi stand dev and diluted C-41 developer as you've linked above. I detail it in the tags, it was 9+1 dilution (ie 50ml of C-41 developer to 450ml water to make up 500ml IIRC), and I semi-stand developed for 45 minutes with a couple of inversions at the 30 minute mark. Medium format gave me good results, colour balance was out though naturally, although not un-correctably, and it was quite contrasty. 35mm was another story.

This gives the few that I have up from that roll of portra that I ran through the above process.
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=3158...ent+120&m=text
    oops was about to post your results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin