Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,736   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Possible to dilute c-41 1:1 for one-shot development?

Hi!

Has any any experience with diluting c-41 (Tetenal) when used as one-shot developer (in a jobo expert drum) ?

I develop 4x5 (and soon 5x7 :-) in a jobo expert using 250 ml of chemicals as one-shot for up to 6 sheet of 4x5, the yield of the chemicals should be much more, but due to assumed oxidation of the chemicals I use it only once. Could it be diluted and the time increased ? Or can i re-use the chemicals within a timeframe of 1 day, one week? more ? (using procetan in the containers)

Any one with experience in this area ?

Best Regards
    Morten :-)

"Please ! Bring me into the company of those who seek the truth, and deliver me from those who have found it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tetenal C-41 is my favorite color negative developer. I *have* re-cycled it with increased times, according to the information given in the data sheet, but never diluted from the standard mixes. Most of the time I will use it as a one-shot developer .. possibly wasteful, I know, but the quality of the processing in *very* important to me.

I don't know if Tetenal has copies of their data sheets on their web site. If not, I'll retrieve one from my darkroom, and post the increased times information.

Protectan is unavailable here. I'm using butane from a butane refillable candle/ cigarette lighter source.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C41 developer cannot be diluted.

It can be reused if you follow the time chart supplied by the manufacturer to compensate for the amount of seasoning by prior use. It can also survive dilution introduced by a prewet.

A prewet is very useful in promoting uniformity.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So prewets can be used with C-41? That would make temp control even more trival.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used a prewet with all film with my Jobo and even in SS tanks for over 30 years. I get results that compare with EK and local pro lab work in terms of speed and color balance.

PE

jl

Shooter
    Large Format
    How long is recommended for the prewet? Is any change in developing time necessary with a prewet?

Jim

When Ilford first came out with XP1, there was also a processing kit. The kit times were 5 minutes develope, then bleach fix. The film could also go thru C-41 for 3 1/4 min.

It became commonly known their kit was simply diluted C-41 for extended time.

I used Unicolor c41 for years and then stopped. After several years I went back and started to get really saturated punchy colors. I thought Kodak had ruined Ektar 25. Actually I found Unicolor had changed the developer to produce the really saturated colors. They said nothing could be done about it. Well I diluted it about 50% water so it was not so concentrated and then it produced decent negs again.

All in all, I say you can dilute it for one shot use. Try 1:1 and 5 min for a start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason diluted C-41 developer will work with Ilford XP-1 film is that this film has only a single layer whereas a true color negative will have three layers, one for each primary color. Using diluted C-41 developer on color negative film will produce negatives that cannot be balanced. Either the bottom layer will receive insufficient development or the top layer will be overdeveloped. This is a false economy.

The ones I made with diluted Unicolor printed fine. No excessive contrast or color crossovers. Filter pack was in the area of normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use a prewet, no change in development time is needed. Just make sure that you drain well to minimize dilution.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin