Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,863   Online: 905

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    8x10" color contact prints are really beautiful. If your instructor is amenable, you won't regret making that choice. You can use the school's enlargers for exposure, since you'll need to be able to filter the light for color balance. The main thing is to figure out if the class will be working with transparencies and Ilfochrome or C-41 negs and C-prints (RA-4).

I wouldn't process 8x10" color negs or transparencies in trays, but you might consider setting up a temperature controlled tank line with hangers or use print drums like the Unicolor drums, if you can't afford a Jobo Expert Drum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    8x10 color film is expensive. Check your local pro camera stores for old outdated stock.

I got an incredible deal on a bunch of transparency film. I bought five 50 sheet boxes of 8x10 64T EPY 6118, two 50 sheet boxes of 8x10 64T Electronic Ouput film, and 17 boxes of Fujichrome Astia 20 sheet 4x5 Quickloads from Wolf's Camera in Dallas. It was all expired film with dates ranging from September 2000 to December 2004, but had been kept refrigerated. I tested it, and it was all perfectly good. The EPY in 8x10 is stunning.

All togther, if the film were fresh and purchased from B&H or Adorama, I calculated it would come to $3705 dollars. I paid $10 per box, a total of $240. Amazing.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have heard a rumor that 12x20" Portra might be available soon - at a bit over $30 per sheet...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I have heard a rumor that 12x20" Portra might be available soon - at a bit over $30 per sheet...
    From where? Will you alert me?

Christian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    You know, Ole, that you could just tape 12 4X5s together. No need to wait!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't use 12x20" but 30x40cm - about 12x16". Metric sizes don't splice so easily, and "Postcard format" 10x15cm is even more difficult to get hold of. But cutting down 12x20" is a lot easier!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was a joke, little did I know that people might actually do that.:o My gosh, I do learn something new every day!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA
    The EPY in 8x10 is stunning.
    It's also the best film made in 35mm, 120 and 4x5. In 4x5 it's available in Readyloads. Buy it while you can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ryan, a friend who teaches architectural photography at the U. of A. has his students use 35mm Sensia from Fuji. Cheap, available and easily processed. He has them use Photographic Works on Grant road so they all have the same results from their film and development. This may not be the case with the color class, don't know. Although a bit pedestrian by your standards, you may find the "tonal range" of slide film to be a bit limiting until you get accustomed to it. You'll have about 4 stops between blocked shadows and fried highlights. If using E6 films, you will place highest values about 1.5 to 1.66 stops above zone 5 and let the chips fall where they may on the bottom.

No, you can't beg, borrow or steal any of my 8x10 E6. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Although a bit pedestrian by your standards, you may find the "tonal range" of slide film to be a bit limiting until you get accustomed to it. You'll have about 4 stops between blocked shadows and fried highlights.
    Not true if the E6 film is EPY. It has about the same tonal range as Tri-X, and responds beautifully to zone system controls. I've used it successfully on SBR 9 scenes many times and it's even easier to push. It is a uniquely beautiful film.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin