Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Anyone shoot 8x10 color film? Where is it avail?

I am taking a Color Photography course at the UofA this next semester, and I have NEVER done any color photography in my life! I shoot only 8x10 camera, so I was looking around online for some 8x10 color film...but could not find any! Does anyone make an 8x10 color film, or a better question...does anyone even shoot 8x10 color?!

I am thinking that I will have to start shooting 4x5, I guess. :-/ I do not even know where to start thought, with what film I should be using, paper, chemicals ect.

Sorry for the stupid, basic question. I have been shooting LF B+W for nearly 7 years now, so getting into color is like starting over from scrach for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a supply of Astia from Freestyle, but I think they've sold it out, and it's becoming more of a special order item.

That said, you should be able to find a few types of E-6 and color neg film from B&H. Adorama has more on their website than they really have in stock. Also check Badger Graphic.

As to whether you choose to start with slide or neg film, see what the instructor advises before you stock up. 8x10" color film ain't cheap! If you shoot positive film and want to print conventionally, your only options right now are Ilfochrome or internegs (I'd go with Ilfochrome). If you shoot negative film, then there are a number of printing options that are less expensive than Ilfochrome.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you cleared shooting LF with your professor? Photography professors can be prima donnas (from personal experience) and may decide you must shoot the same formats as the rest of the class--usually 35mm and 120. Just something you might want to look into before you pony up the $$$ for 8x10 color film. If you have to go with a roll format then you can use a rollfilm back for the LF camera and still get all of the movements
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX
    so I was looking around online for some 8x10 color film...but could not find any! Does anyone make an 8x10 color film, or a better question...does anyone even shoot 8x10 color?!
    I think EPY is the best product Kodak sells (including Azo) and the best film made today. For daylight use, filter it with an 85B Wratten filter. You'll be astonished at the results. (For more than $7.00/sheet, you should expect no less!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ryan, another option is to use Polaroid color film; that is, if you can use prints vice chromes. The 8x10 size requires a serious investment in the processesor and film holders. Do an E-bay search for Polaroid 8x10 and you will see several examples.

Second option is to get a Polaroid 545 series 4x5 holder and use Type 59 sheet film. This setup has the most flexibility. I think it would allow use of the Kodak and Fuji ready-load film packs, but I have no experience with them.

Third option is a Polaroid 405 holder and use the Type 669 color pack film. Its the most economical way to shoot Polaroid.

Finally, you could get a 120 roll film back. That would allow use of all the 120 films available. I have an old Calumet 6x7 holder and several rolls of film I would be willing to part with.

My suggestion is to make sure your Professor is clear on what type of film is allowable - print or tranny. If its tranny, the 120 back would be the most economical.

Send me a PM if you need further details.

Alex
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From a prima donna photo instructor. You really need to check with the insturctor,
    can they handle 8x 10 negatives, i.e. equipment necessary for development.

there are options, but the bottom line may lie in the equipment and set up of the lab.
    The instructor should be making recommendations as to the paper and chemicals, or does the University provide the chemicals.
    A lot of unknown questions need to be answered before you invest a lot of money in color film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    From a prima donna photo instructor. You really need to check with the insturctor,
    Ann, have never thought of you as a prima donna photo instructor...while you advice is excellent as all ways...just could not help saying something...
    Mike C

Rambles

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ryan,

When I was exploring whether or not to get into LF I had rented an 8x10 camera from Calumet and shot both B&W and Color Neg over a weekend. Calumet had a full stock of 8x10 color film in various types. I personally chose Kodak 160VC. I developed them in my JOBO with a borrowed 8x10 Expert Drum using a Tetanal C-41 kit. Processing was really easy in the Expert Drum but I'm not sure about developing them in trays. I had a local lab contact print them for me as I did not have access to any color printing equipment. I never really formed an opinion though on the 4x5 enlarged to 8x10 vs. 8x10 contact printed. It was my first outing with the 8x10 and at the time did not really think about comparing them in that way.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have decided to contact the instructor of the class to discuss using LF in the class. I think the University can only develop up too 2 1/4" in their film processing machine. Their color enlargers are able to do up to 4x5 thought. I do have an old 4x5 camera that I could use for enlarging negatives, but I would rather stick to my 8x10 and making contact prints. There is something about an 8x10 contact print that I absolutly LOVE, so I would prefer to keep using the 8x10.

I might look into ways I could process color negatives in another way then their automatic machine. I cannot afford to take them to a lab really.

Thanks everyone for your help thus far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin