Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

magenta shadows with E6 - revisited...

OK, I asked about this before but did not have a scanner at the time. In the prior thread, we decided that the problem was underexposure (i.e. I screwed up again). I was going back through my pile of transparencies and found an example. Here are scans of the suspect...The first image is a detail from the lower right corner of the full frame scan. Notice that the unexposed area in the film holder rebate is also the same magenta color as the deep shadow areas in the bushes. I'm thinking that this is a processing issue....

Can anybody tell me for sure if this is an exposure problem or a processing problem?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    oh, details...

film is Kodak E100G rated at ISO 100
    meter reading (light + film speed) was EV 14 (f/32 , 1/15)
    with polarizer, (light + film speed + filter) = EV 11.6

actual exposure (with polarizer filter): f/32 + 1/2 for 1/2 second

Lens is 135mm Xenar - not that it matters I guess.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    oh, details...

film is Kodak E100G rated at ISO 100
    meter reading (light + film speed) was EV 14 (f/32 , 1/15)
    with polarizer, (light + film speed + filter) = EV 11.6

actual exposure (with polarizer filter): f/32 + 1/2 for 1/2 second

Lens is 135mm Xenar - not that it matters I guess.
    To me that's not underexposure, but a problem relating to the bleach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that magenta staining in E-6 films is often associated with incomplete washing between baths.

Magenta staining must be distinguished from a magenta color imbalance which is caused by a partially exhausted color developer or by an improperly constituted color developer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Consensus seems to be that it is a processing problem. I was willinmg to accept that I might have messed up the exposure untill I saw that the unexposed area of the film was also affected.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You didn't mention whether you processed these yourself or sent them into a lab. You may want to consider sending your trannies to Calypso, their prices are hard to beat; I'm not sure if you can process your own for what they charge.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks to me like it might be bleach, fix, or more probably incomplete reversal in the reversal bath.

This latter problem often gives a dichroic look to the slides with magenta looking shadows.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    You didn't mention whether you processed these yourself or sent them into a lab. You may want to consider sending your trannies to Calypso, their prices are hard to beat; I'm not sure if you can process your own for what they charge.
    These were processed by a lab. I have worked with this lab for something like seven years now. I've three separarate instances of the magenta shadows from them -- all occurred recently and within a couple of weeks. After the third time, I did have a couple of sheet done at Calypso - just to give them a try. I've been shooting mostly B&W lately so have not been back to Calypso. Calypso did fine work at a nice price but, the personal attention is missing. The lady at the counter acted like I was bothering her...I just wasn't familiar with how they work. To be fair, I have such a great working relationship with my regular lab I may be just a little spoiled.

I have watched my regular lab tranform itself from a professional lab serving mainly mainly wedding, portrait and industrial / commercial photogs to one that caters mainly to up-scale soccer moms. It is rare to see a wedding photog drop films off there now-a-days. It used to be that I wouldn't even attempt to go into theplace on Monday mornings. Sadly, I am probably the only customer who regularly brings them 4x5 business anymore...Calypso on the other hand clearly, still does quite a bit of 4x5. I fear my regular lab may have loosened up on the chemical process control in response to the evolving business.

Why not discuss this with the lab? If they're a quality operation, and you're having problems, it would seem they'd want to know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    To be fair, I have such a great working relationship with my regular lab I may be just a little spoiled.
    Having a personal relationship with the lab is usually a good thing. I used to use a lab locally for that reason, until they went out of business; then I found out the quality of their work wasn't too good.

FWIW, the owner of Calypso is a member here, but I'm not sure if he reads or posts anything or not.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin