Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,064   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-6 Formulas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

E-6 Formulas

Someone had a wonderful link to a webpage that gave the formulas for C-41 chemistry. It got me thinking, does anyone know of one for the E-6 chemistry? With the slow demise of slide film availablity *can't believe they canceled Velvia 50* I'd like to keep the option open to cold storage what film I can, and mix my own chemistry if the kits get hard to come by.

Thanks,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's it called. The Britsh Photo annual has formulas in the back. You can pick up an old copy for not much money. Plus nice pictures to. If nobody remembers the correct name I'll find my copy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's one page with some E-6 formulas:

http://opie.net/orphy/photo/dr/wkft-e6.html

Note that there's no reversal bath; the procedure calls for exposure to light instead. Also, I've not used these formulas; I've just bookmarked it for future reference.

On another note, I hadn't heard about Velvia 50 being discontinued. Is that in all formats or just some? Although I don't use all that much of it, if 35mm Velvia 50 is going the way of the dodo, I'll have to stock up...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the quote from the Fuji site

The current Fujichrome Velvia 100F continues to be available. It is anticipated that Fujichrome Velvia 50 will remain on the market into calendar year 2006.

Which is marketing speak for "we quit making it, but there enough in the warehouse to last till next year." I hope to pick up a bunch of 4x5 and 120 before then.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    On another note, I hadn't heard about Velvia 50 being discontinued. Is that in all formats or just some? Although I don't use all that much of it, if 35mm Velvia 50 is going the way of the dodo, I'll have to stock up...
    Velvia 50 has been replaced with Velvia 100, which isn't surprising; the old Velvia formula is over 20 years old, so it was time to update the emulsion. The jury is still out on how good this new emulsion is, the 100F flopped badly. I've got some of the new Velvia 100, but haven't processed it yet. Here is an article on Velvia 100 that might interest you: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia100.htm

FWIW, there is another version of Velvia that is currently only being sold in Japan.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The E6 formulas in the reference above are incorrect. They may yield useable results but I am sure that they will not work up to specs with all E6 films.

The first developer is wrong, the color developer is wrong, the use of the stop bath is wrong, and the bleach is a ferricyanide bleach which the current dyes are not tested with. The fixer is a sodium based fix which may lead to retained silver halide, and the stabilzer does not contain the latest proprietary ingredients designed for the newest family of dyes.

What to expect? Degraded color, sharpness and grain. It may be with every film or only with selected films. I have no idea. Dye stability will probably be substandard. E6 films are designed to fit the process, but if a process is designed to fit the film, it may only work with that film, and if it is not tested with the appropriate resolution charts and dye stability tests, these other factors may be unknowns to the formula designers.

All they know is that the picture with this film in this process looks pretty!

Well, if that is good enough for you, then enjoy.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    an apugger who lives in Los Alamos New Mexico sent me a few years back the formulas for both E-6 and C-41. Let me (hope I remember) slog through my old emails and pull them out. I will ask him if it is all right to post them on this forum.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    an apugger who lives in Los Alamos New Mexico sent me a few years back the formulas for both E-6 and C-41. Let me (hope I remember) slog through my old emails and pull them out. I will ask him if it is all right to post them on this forum.

Thanks, I'll probably never use it, but I'd like to have the option.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Aggie, did you find the formulas?

Thanks,
    Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No the formulae are not wrong, they are just different thats all, and they do work just as well. Old dunk dip machines worked in this way when E6 first came in, sure companies like Photocolor simplified the steps to 4 many years ago, and others followed in their footsteps.

However E6 films are very closely related to C41 and both can be used with Ferricyanide bleaches and also Sodium Thiosulphate fixers.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    The first developer is wrong, the color developer is wrong, the use of the stop bath is wrong, and the bleach is a ferricyanide bleach which the current dyes are not tested with. The fixer is a sodium based fix which may lead to retained silver halide, and the stabilzer does not contain the latest proprietary ingredients designed for the newest family of dyes.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin