Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,873   Online: 1127

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

c-41 at my local lab

hey all, i enjoy using the portra films from kodak in the 120 size. My local one hour photo is able to soup the film. The shop is privatly owned.

I wonder if i should be sending the film out to a pro level lab?

the fella who runs his shop always keeps his chems fresh, and strangely enough, he actually cares about how he handles the film, that is, hes not some kid at eckerd who runs the film through an unclean machine and often overused chemicals.

So i wonder if sending out to a "pro" would be a wiser choice? or stick with my local guy? My 120 negs come back with no problems, but im just curious if a "pro" lab will do a better job?

any thoughts?

oh and anyone been to zion national park? heading out on tuesday by way of las vegas in a rental car, will have a full day at the park, anyone wanting to share their thoughts on the place would be another plus!!!

thanks all,
    mike

cheers,
    mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi mike --

hows about a test ... shoot two rolls of the same subject, send one to your local guy, and one to the pro-lab. see how you like the results from each side-by-side. if you think the pro-lab is worth the extra $$, go for it.

( the local guy will probably win )

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sounds to me like your local guy IS a pro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your pleased with your local person and he is offering the type of service with the quality you need/want, then a pro lab would probably not be any better, and you run the risk of loss or damage in shipping, I have always either souped my own or used a local lab if possible that way I have a personal relationship with the person/lab doing the processing, from your description, I can't imagine a 'pro' lab doing any better, and as stated by bohica, sounds like your local guy is a Pro!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats right Dave , I wish I could find a local lab like this, recently I have been trying to find a pro lab in the city I live in that prints in the traditional way, on photographic paper, not inkjet or digital, so far I have had no luck, some of them don't print normal size ( up to 20"X 16") at all, they just develop the film and burn it onto CD for their clients to make their own digital prints!!. What's the world coming to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finding a local shop that does C41 in 120 with reasonable rates has always been tough for me. I'd prefer to keep it local but, $50 for two rolls of film with prints is IMHO ridiculous.

I found an Eckerd drug store in NC that does 120 in Kodak chems for just a pinch more than 35mm. Quality is good and I've spoken with the person that processes the 120 and feel assured. When I was there on vacation I forgot to ask her if she'd return ship the film and prints. But it would be worth the shipping for me, given my local guy's price lunacy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joey,

Tell your local guy he is flat freaking crazy, C41 is an easy process, and does not cost any more than a roll of 36 exp 35mm, when I have the local shop do my 645 prints, it runs $2.31 to process, and 0.49 cents for a print, which works out to $9.06 a roll with prints, so $50 for two rolls, is past stupid and ridiculous!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends what you mean by prints I guess. Last time I checked the local pro labs they would give you proofs and developing [size depends on 120 format] for even less then Dave mentioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, most labs will provide proofs for less, than what I said, I am getting 4 x 5 matt finish prints, for customers very good quality....

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,
    Bear in mind that most pro labs use dip and dunk machines which never let the film come in contact with any service. Local labs have machines with rollers which transport the film and have constant contact with the emulsion. Personally, I use local labs like Ritz camera to process my 35mm film and I really haven't seen any serious scratching. If you scan your film you may want to consider the pro labs since scratches are more apparent on film during scanning.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin