Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,023   Online: 913

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re-fix color negatives?

While making some masks from color negatives this morning I mixed up the sheets and ended up developing the color negative along with the B&W film and was surprised to see that the negative came out darker in the end than it originally was. I'm guessing this is a sign of poor fixing and that there was residual silver that developed out in the process. Is that possible and should I re-fix my negatives? Would re-fixing even do any good, or am I in deep ...um, trouble?

Man, what a bummer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In order to produce the dyes in color negatives the color developing agent must combine with each of the three color couplers. This was prevented by the use of a B&W developing agent. You might try bleaching the film with a rehalogenating bleach and redeveloping in the color developer. However, I would recommend redoing the masks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Gerald.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I understand your answer ...or that I asked the question clearly.

If I take a fully developed color negative that has gone through color developer, bleach and fix, and then stick it in B%W developer, should the densities get darker or is that a sign of incomplete fixing in the original developing process? And if such darkening is indeed a sign of incomplete fixing, can I set things right by re-fixing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. Sounds like there was insufficient fixing first time round. How about re-bleaching then re-fixing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "How about re-bleaching then re-fixing?"

That would be my guess, Helen, but I'm not sure. Actually, that specific negative isn't important and I'm really just concerned that my other negs may be insufficiently fixed. I think I've got a big re-fixing project on my hands.

It should be interesting to see how the botched neg scans, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    If I take a fully developed color negative that has gone through color developer, bleach and fix, and then stick it in B%W developer, should the densities get darker or is that a sign of incomplete fixing in the original developing process? And if such darkening is indeed a sign of incomplete fixing, can I set things right by re-fixing?
    Your original post was a bit confusing. Do you mean that the mask negatives had already been developed correctly in a color developer, bleached, and fixed. At this point they were accidently run through a B&W developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I see the masking thing was confusing.

All I need to know is, will a properly developed color negative gain additional density with further development in B&W chemistry, or is that a sign that it was poorly fixed in its color development? So, if you, Gerald, pulled a junk negative from your file and threw it into D76 and it got darker, would that be cause for concern?

Okay, I'm plumb outta ways of phrasing it, if I have to try again I'm in trouble

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, a guy on pnet recommended refixing with substantially longer times to get past the stabilization step of color processing. Makes sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's hard to say. The color dyes are pH sensitive and may darken when exposed to the B&W chemicals. Ferric-EDTA bleaches are notorious for incomplete bleaching especially when re-used. I would recommend rebleaching and fixing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "rebleaching and fixing"

Okay, thanks, that's the plan. Did some random testing and it looks like a third of my negs might be in trouble ...of course there's no telling WHICH third, so I've got a big job on my hands.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin