Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,945   Online: 794

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Status of Ilfachrome

Sorry, I don't know anything about color so this may be a dumb question.
    Are Ilfachrome chemicals still available? Aren't they used to process Cibachrome paper? Is the paper still available? Are their substitutes that he can use on a JOBO Processor to make color prints?

Thanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Ilfochrome chemicals and paper are still very much alive. Cibachrome paper is the same thing as Ilfochrome; Ilford bought out Ciba and I think they're just not allowed to use the name "Ciba" anymore, so it's all Ilfochrome now. I'm not sure how available things are up there; over here there's Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto, a huge professional store with a large darkroom department, and they regularly stock the chemicals, though the paper is harder to find. I printed in a drum, so I always bought the P-30 chemistry from Keeble and Shuchat and the paper I ordered from B&H (unfortunately they can't ship the P-30 kit).

I believe you still need to use P-30 chemicals in a JOBO Processor, but I may be wrong; I really don't know much about JOBO Processors and there is another kind of Ilfochrome chemical kit that is used with processors, but I always thought it was for the huge machine processors.

If that's the case then you'd probably have to see if you could find the P-30 chemicals at a supplier nearby, or hopefully, they could order it for you. You could probably order the paper at the same time too, but if you're buying a few boxes it's probably cheaper to buy it all from B&H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From a press release on the Ilford site (http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...?TOPIC_ID=6763)
    P30 Ilfochrome Chemistry Kit CAT#1875106 has been replaced by a new all liquid ILFOCHROME Classic Processing P3.5 Kit under CAT#1137758.

Processing equipment used with the old chemistry, including the ICP and the CAP40, is compatible with new P3.5
    Cheers, Bob.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glazer's in Seattle most likely still has Ilfochrome, both paper and chemistry. They did last time I was in there, just over a year ago. Should be a local call from Redmond, and they have a nice web site, too.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ilfochrome Classic is Cibachrome...

In a Jobo you can use P3 or P3X or P3.5 however the P3.5 is most likely the most mild chemistry used to process the Ilfochrome Classic Paper.

There is no replacement for the beautiful photographic paper known as Ilfochrome Classic (cibachrome)

I am happy to sell Ilfochrome Classic paper to anyone that needs it.

Email : prints@hiddenlightllc.com

-Corey

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin