Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,289   Online: 978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Refreezing exposed color film.

If it isn,t possible to get your exposed color film to the lab just how long can it be put in the ice box befor significant deterioration occures?

Thanks Much,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't re-freeze. It should be fine for at least 3 months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't try to put film in the fridge/freezer once it's out of the sealed packaging. The film will stick to itself because of moisture build-up and be ruined. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never re-froze exposed film and sometimes I have taken extended photo trips, normally as long as it is kept in a cool dry place, it will last quite a while without changing the dynamics of the film, a couple of my trips it was close to 6 weeks before we could get the film to the processor, and the film didn't show any ill effects of being non-frozen.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know of any general rules for how long exposed film can be kept without deterioration - it will vary from film to film, as well as being temperature dependent. Tri-X and Kodachrome had good reputations for latent image stability, for example.

The first parts of the latent image to go will be the shadow details - the fewer silver atoms in the image centre, the shorter their survival time. I've noticed that the faster the film, the less stable the latent image shadow details are.

Re-freezing exposed film is no big deal, and I used to do it as a matter of routine when living in the tropics. Just wrap it closely (ie as little airspace as possible) in an airtight wrapper and put it in the fridge or freezer - the fridge is likely to be cold enough for all but very long delays before processing. Allow plenty of time for it to warm up again before opening the package.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    I wouldn't re-freeze. It should be fine for at least 3 months.
    So true ...

You also need to consider the location where you live and where you are shooting. I live in a very high humidity area, and as was pointed out the film will stick when you refreeze it, under the conditions of where I live.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I freeze mine. 120 goes into M&M plastic tubes. 35mm back into 35mm plastic cans. Never had a problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I freeze mine. 120 goes into M&M plastic tubes. 35mm back into 35mm plastic cans. Never had a problem.
    Mmmm... M&Ms <drool> Neat idea. I use those ADOX containers from J and C. 4 for a buck and they last forever (or at least a really long time). I only occasionaly re-freeze film, but I never had any problems using the plastic film containers. Please note that few times part. Your mileage may vary. Now, I need to go get some M&Ms...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm quite surprised to hear of problems with exposed film sticking in high humidity areas when refridgerated or frozen. Could those of you who have had the problem give us your interpretation of what caused it, or more details of how it was packed, whether there was airspace, how it was warmed up etc? Apart from still film, in S E Asia I used to refridgerate all exposed movie film that was not going to be processed the next day. Short ends and recans (ie film that had been loaded into a magazine, not used, then unloaded back into the can) went into the freezer.

Thanks,
    Helen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I primarily shoot sheet films, so my experiences are based upon that. When I first tried shooting B&W cut film (like Efke PL100 and Delta 100), I found that the sheets would stick together if I didn't put them back into the box with the interleaving paper - I didn't try put into the freezer after that. I also didn't try to put the film into the freezer right after unloading the holders. Most of the film I shoot is QuickLoads, which I don't refrigerate. I tend to err on the side of caution.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin