Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,476   Online: 1107

Shooter
    Multi Format

RA-4 Monobath - is it possible?

I was working with my D-76 based monobath last night (it works somewhat well now), and it made me think about doing a monobath for RA-4 papers.

Is this at all possible? If the paper is slightly overxposed, and then run though strong developer with some very dilute bleach and fix, would this be possible?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No.

The bleach is an oxidant and would destroy both the developer and the latent image.

A monobath with just a fix would give a 'bleach bypass' look to the prints, if it worked, but usually due to diffusion effects would cause severe crossover between the layers due to unequal effects.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm ... you're probably right. What happens if the bleach step is bypassed. I've never seen or tried this before...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You get silver metal contamination of the colors with blocked shadows and desaturated color.

You can try it by this sequence. Develop (RA), Fix (Flexicolor C41 fix diluted about 2x normal), wash and dry. This will show you exactly a bleach bypass paper process.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Hmmm ... you're probably right.
    I started thinking of this comment and decided to come back to it.

Just FYI, BTDT. No 'probably'. I guarantee it! At worst, no image, and at best a distorted parody of an image. If you do a bleach bypass at least there will be a usable image. And, if you don't like it, just blix and wash and you get a good print.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin