Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,076   Online: 943

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Just an FYI, the room temperature kits are grossly overpriced. The reason is that the Kodak RA kit can be used down to 68 deg F (20 deg C) with no problem whatsoever and no different kit or price for the whole temperature range up to 100F (38C).

In addition, some kits still use CD4 as developing agent. I will keep warning of this. That developer seriously degrades both the dye hues and dye stability (particularly dark stability) of the images. If a kit uses CD4, do not use it with any current color paper from any manufacturer, as they are designed for CD3.

PE
    Kodak RA-RT is cheaper, but I wouldn't call Paterson's Printmaster RA developer grossly overpriced. The Kodak 10L kit costs makes $23. The Printmaster product, which also makes 10l for high-temp processing, costs $15. Of course, it only makes 5l if you're doing room-temperature, but the processing times are shorter, listed at around 1 minute. I usually extend those times to 90 seconds for better consistency. Rowland Mowrey recommends 2 mins for room-temperature RA-RT.

Printmaster uses CD3.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ekjt
    The instructions for mixing Patersons starter with developer are in the backside of developer bottles label. Just tear off corner of the label. There are also simple instructions for replenishing.
    The ratios printed there are the same you quote.
    I use a Nova processor too, and I think that tetenals has the longest life when stored in nova processor with tubular lids. This means the shelf life, not capacity as I tend to spend chemistry more by storing it too long.
    When developer gets old (weeks in the nova processor), I get brown whites despite of replenishing. This is cured with a fresh batch of developer.
    In nova I have always "replenished" by changing part of the developer solution with "initial tank solution" mixed with starter when I start a printing session.
    Many thanks for the information. Until your reply I had not noticed that the label was thicker than the one on the starter bottle and it can be opened without damage but only if you are very careful. Ilford do the same on some of their B&W chemicals but it is easy to damage the instructions.

No need to write to Paterson now. The great thing about APUG is that no matter what the problem, somebody will have the answer you need.

Pentaxuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin