Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,859   Online: 766

Shooter
    Multi Format

Old color films in B&W chemicals

I searched, and found that I could develop a roll of old kodacolor-x I found in black and white chemicals. But short of recomendations of using a developer like diafine, no one said anything about the process. My question is it the same as regular black and white flim. I.E. develop then fix then clearing agent etc... Or should I follow a different procedure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yep, std B&W process (well that's what I've experimented with a couple of times)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do old color films come out in B&W? This relates to my question about processing disc films in B&W...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done Portra color films in D-76 with good results. (Stock D-76, 7:30 at 20F) I started this as an experiment because I have a lot of Portra in the 'fridge and I rarely shoot color any more (and it's almost always chromes when I do). It turns out that color Portra works well as a black and white film, although you do have to deal with the orange base. Not really worth it in the end, but still a fun experiment.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those of who were wondering the negs came out fine. They were of some parade, and I think someones cross dressing grandpa (not sure about that though). One question though, is it possible to remove the orange mask?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, there is no easy way to remove the orange mask, though it may somehow be doable.

I'd suggest just scanning the negs. and taking care of printing digitally...

Images
    That is a good idea. People are always finding old c-22 film in old cameras and asking how to get it processed. Since it is a completely unknown quantity, it is a big gamble to send it to some expensive discontinued processes lab. This way they can see if there is anything on the film fairly inexpensively even though it is in B&W.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I ran my disk film through D-76 (only one of the rolls). However, in my infinite brilliance, I turned on my safelight after I'd opened the cartridge [d'oh]. Well, the negatives did develop though no images). I could see a small amount of the frame markers / numbers where I happened to be holding the film after safelight turnon, but I coulnd't see an image. What was not exposed was quite faint, and has very heavy orange masking.

In addition, the developer turned yellow. And when I say yellow, I meanyellow . I've seen blue, purple and pink-ish results from films before, and heard of green, though I've never seen yellow developer. Anyway, I know that this works. The next step is to try development in modified C-41 ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin