Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,754   Online: 1021

Shooter
    Multi Format

Average color printing times?

I'm still pretty new to color printing and am wondering what average print exposure times are for the experienced out there. I'm routinely in the 7 - 10 second range which is a bit shorter than I'm used to and comfortable with from B&W work. The problem is stopping down further would make the image pretty dim for dodge/burning since my "night vision" never really kicks in due to frequent burst of quite bright light to gauge color accuracy.

Oh, and BTW, anyone have any impressions on the new Kodak "Edge" paper?

Lastly, I was also interested in a note contained in a new box of Portra saying they're changing the emulsion for "cleaner highlights when exposed in optical printers. No changes will be seen when exposing paper in digital devices." One gets to be so pathetically grateful for any signs of continuing research/improvements in the non-digital area. Someone obviously didn't get the email.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RA-4 printing is quicker then B&W. I don't know what average is supposed to be but 7-10 sounds normal to me.

Edge is a consumer paper. Last time I looked it wasn't much/any cheaper then the pro papers so I ignore it-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    I'm still pretty new to color printing and am wondering what average print exposure times are for the experienced out there. I'm routinely in the 7 - 10 second range which is a bit shorter than I'm used to and comfortable with from B&W work. The problem is stopping down further would make the image pretty dim for dodge/burning since my "night vision" never really kicks in due to frequent burst of quite bright light to gauge color accuracy.

Oh, and BTW, anyone have any impressions on the new Kodak "Edge" paper?

Lastly, I was also interested in a note contained in a new box of Portra saying they're changing the emulsion for "cleaner highlights when exposed in optical printers. No changes will be seen when exposing paper in digital devices." One gets to be so pathetically grateful for any signs of continuing research/improvements in the non-digital area. Someone obviously didn't get the email.
    I'd go with Nick. My times are generally 7-10 secs even at f16 and with a 75watt bulb insted of 100 watt specified by Durst and f16 is smallest f stop on my Nikkor 50mm lens for 35mm negs.

I had one neg recently which required less than minimum time on my analyser which is about 4.5 secs. I had written about this before and got advice( I forget who it was - may have been Nick) which I used with this neg which is dial in say 10 units of cyan and raise the yellow and magenta by the same. Good advice as the colour balance remained the same but exposure was increased to a level measurable by my analyser.

A useful device when burning and dodging required. Thankfully colour prints need a lot less manipulation because (a) the image at long exposures is very dim and worse than that there is no safe filter to allow tool or hand positioning in advance of exposure.

I usually cover with old print with enlarger light on at say f8 to give reasonable light then position tool/hand and then remove old print and count. Finally covering lens with hand and switching off with the other. Time is realy short. Ideally once tool is positioned I should hold it still then reduce f stop to improve margin for error but needs too many hands. Anyone got an extra pair of hands for sale?

No doubt a foot switch would help but its still a real pain.

I'd be interested in any tips from any experienced colour dodger/burner out there.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I print slides onto Ilfochrome and exposure times of 1 minute plus are not un-common. I used to print onto Kodak Radiance, and exposures were much shorter, but then the saturation didn't match Ilfochromes. I like having long exposure times because the burning/dodgeing doesn't have to be as precise to render great results! I never exceed 3 stops on the lense, and often go with 2 stops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Endura paper was changed in 2 steps that increased green speed and therefore required just a bit more magenta filtration. So, there are 3 batches of Endura papers out there that stepwise move upwards in filter pack.

This was done to make the improvements noted in the post above. It also changed some printer slope adjustments due to improved reciprocity failure IIRC.

Yes, R&D on color paper proceeds. Although the man behind the latest work is no longer in the division, there are still good people working to improve color paper.

I use about the same exposure for an 8x10 color print (with filter pack) that I use for a grade 2 print from a normal negative on Polycontrast IV or Multigrade IV. It is usually within a stop on my Beseler 45s Dichro either way depending on negative and pack.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. Sounds like my print times are in the normal ballpark and that attendant doge/burn difficulties are just part of the fun of it. I suppose that if printing for exhibition (pfffffft!) it would be worth sitting around in the dark for while first to get better vision at smaller stops.

Thanks for the usual informative reply, Photo Engineer. You're a major asset to this site.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin