Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 874

Shooter
    Multi Format

Color film in B&W dev. times

Ok, I've tried two discs of fil (Process C-41a) in D-76, and neither has come out. The first was exposed to my safelight (duhhh), the second was opened in complete darkness, developed 12 minutes at 21ºc (this worked well with new color stock), wash, fixed for 8mins. The negatives came out completely black.

I want to try it with another roll, and ideas as to times??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For Portra 160 I've used 7:30 at 20F with D-76 stock. I have no idea what the times would be like with disc film...I can't even remember what type of film it was. But 12 minutes seems excessive to me. I'd start with something about half of that time and work up to a good time.

Best of luck.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, thanks for the reccomendation. I'll try it out

Disc film, for those who don't remember, was a 15 exposure circular film, which came in a plastic cartridge; it just slid into the camera. The original films were C22, but the later ones were C41a.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember disc film well...luckily I never had a camera that used it, but I do remember it. I just have no memory whatsoever of what emulsions were available in the format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hoaky, I developed the film, 7:00 in D-76, fixed 10 mins in Kodafix. The developer still came out yellow, and I think that its now time to mix some more D-76, as cloudy yellow developer is probably not good.

Anyway, the film came out OK, with about 6 useable pictures of 15 (not bad considering > 10 years age, very poorly stored). However, there is an orange mask, plus something dark yellowish on the base of the film, which makes everything horribly dark. any way to remove this?? If its collodial silver (as some films use), I'd think of using a rehaligenating bleach, re-expose & redevelop, though I'm not sure if thats what the layer is. Suggestions, please??

And, to Mongo, sorry about misreading. Ther were not a terribly large numberof emulsions available. The only ones I know of are Fuji and Kodak. I have never seen a B&W disc fil, and i assume that they're all color. Kodacolor VR, Kodacolor Gold (later kodak gold), and a few others. I never used the Fuji emulsions. My camera (an Ansco Memo), also had a flip flash (anybody remember those?).

It would be interesting to cut a 120 or sheet film negative to disc size and put it on the center plastic thing from an old cartridge and shoot film in the camera (just for fun of course, it's realy not a useful format).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    It would be interesting to cut a 120 or sheet film negative to disc size and put it on the center plastic thing from an old cartridge and shoot film in the camera (just for fun of course, it's realy not a useful format).
    Who cares if it's not useful...Holgas aren't terribly useful but a lot of them get sold. Besides, you could be the first person to ever shoot B&W in a disc camera! (I'd think you'd want to cut the film from a sheet of film, though, as the curl in 120 would probably cause you problems.)

It would be interesting to see just how much the lens in the camera actually covers...if I remember correctly the cardboard "disk" acted as a mask that limited the size of the image on the film. I wonder just how much the lens really would cover.

(I do love to experiment! Now I'm wishing I had an old disc camera laying around to play with. )

Be well.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EBay has disc cameras up all of the time, and they're quite cheap. Ask on the classifieds, I'm sure somebody has one. I have an extra one, though it's on loan to somebody else, so its really not mine to sell or give away...

It would be neat to see what the coverage is, as it does seem that it would have to be larger than the mask. I don't recall a cardboard mask, the ones i have are plastic, but it serves the same purpose.

I didn't think about the excessive curl in 120 films, especially the cheap stuff that I'd use for exeriemnts (Lucky SHD). Perhaps some Arista Edu or J&C Classic sheet film would be good. I'd have to figure out how to get the central plastic disk in there, and do everything in the dark ... fun. Some IR goggles shure would be nice to work in the dark ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, there's a nice pretty pink disc camera on EBay now for $5, ends in two hours. :-)) http://cgi.ebay.com/Near-Mint-Le-Cli...QQcmdZViewItem

lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    I didn't think about the excessive curl in 120 films, especially the cheap stuff that I'd use for exeriemnts (Lucky SHD). Perhaps some Arista Edu or J&C Classic sheet film would be good. I'd have to figure out how to get the central plastic disk in there, and do everything in the dark ... fun. Some IR goggles shure would be nice to work in the dark ...
    J&C has some 13x18cm Foma sheet film that has some defects for $7.99/50 sheets. That would be a LOT of disc-sized film for not much money. Keep an eye on their odds and ends page for some real deals in defective, mis-cut, and short-dated films.

I'm off to eBay to see if I can find a disc camera with some film...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin