Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,243   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Reccomendation for E-6 processing Chemicals

I have recently obtained about 50 sheets of E-6 sheet film (Ektachrome e100 and Provia III), along with two 120 rolls of ektachrome, and I'm quite eager to shoot it and process it before it expires in August '06

I have NEVER processed color before, so I'm looking for a reccomendation for an E-6 developing kit (or individual components, if more economical / significantly better). I'm not looking to spend a terrible amount (like <$50) on the chems.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get the Kodak 7 step process for about $70 US, this is what I use when processing my E6, are you using a roller processing machine?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not have a roller processor, though I can access one [not convenient]. I have manual tanks for 135, 120 and sheet film, and, of course, trays. I'm aware that this is probably not optimal (or good) for color development, but is there a way to make it work?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Tetenal 3 step works very well for me. I use it in a Jobo and follow the directions exactly. I think you can get a 1 liter kit as well as the 5 and 15 liter kits. 1 liter developes 12 rolls of film if you reuse the chemicals - I do without a problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    I do not have a roller processor, though I can access one [not convenient]. I have manual tanks for 135, 120 and sheet film, and, of course, trays. I'm aware that this is probably not optimal (or good) for color development, but is there a way to make it work?
    Years ago I did E6 this way with the Kodak Hobby kit and it worked fine. Just setup a large tray for a tempering bath and keep your tank and all chemicals in this. You can just leave a thermometer in it and add extra hot water as needed to maintain temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The tembering bath is a good idea - and a good use for the darkroom sink. Maintaining 38ºc shouldn't be too hard.

The three bath kits are just developer, color dev. and blix, bypassing the bleach / reverse step, yes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used 4x5 tanks with SS hangers, drums, deep tanks with film clips, and just about every combination in between. I've used hand agitation, rotating drums, and nitrogen burst. I have even done it in a tray but not E6 and not at 100 deg F. That is one thing I would not try to do.

As long as you adhere to the time, temperature and agitation recommendations of the manufacturer for the method you choose, you probably won't go wrong.

I must point out a few things. Best results are usually obtained with either Kodak, Fuji or Agfa chemistry. All others appear to have some deficiency or other AFAIK. Another is that E6 processes with a blix instead of a bleach then fix tend to allow more silver retention causing problems in highlights.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    THe kodak 6-bath kit makes 5 liters and is only $50 US, though B&H won't ship it ... That probably seems like my best bet.

I also didn't think that tray processing E-6 at 100ºF wasa good idea - especially in complete darkness ...

I'll see waht I can do

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I've used a Paterson Chrome 6 kit for three 35mm rolls now. The first two rolls came out fine. The third roll had magenta shadows (including the sprocket and inter-frame areas). The troubleshooting guide says this is a sign of contamination of the first developer with the color developer. I can't rule this out, although I thought I was being careful to avoid this. That's the extent of my experience to date, though. FWIW, I bought the Paterson kit because I was buying from B&H, and they would ship it, but they wouldn't ship other E6 kits. I believe Freestyle, Adorama, and perhaps others are more willing to ship other E6 kits, albeit only by ground.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is odd that B&H won't ship some things, though I have noticed others will. I never air ship anything anyway, as it is too expensive, and I typically don't need htings next-day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin