Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,195   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Colour processing chemicals and the demise of Agfa?

I use the Agfa 500ml processing kits for C41 and E6 film processing. I still have a couple of each type. Now that Agfa is sadly in its death throes, I will need to look into alternate suppliers. I would appreciate your thoughts on the other brands available (especially in Australia) and how they compare with the Agfa kits in terms of volume required, how many films can be processed, cost, etc. My weapon of choice is a Paterson Auto Colortherm, and I use it for both 35mm and 120 processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, I'm in the same boat as you . Very recently I spent up big at VanBar buying bucketloads of AP94 (RA4) 5 litre kits.

The long term is that I think it's going to be Fuji or Kodak 20 litre kits broken up into smaller mixes.

Perhaps you and I could go halves in some C41 or RA4 kits. I live about 10 minutes away from your surname's suburb.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mick, thanks for the info. I was thinking specifically about film processing kits as opposed to printing (RA4) kits, but I guess I should have been thinking about printing chemicals too. I use the same Agfa RA4 kits as you do. I'd be happy to go halvies with you in C41 and RA4. My suburb is the one whose football team got beaten by my football team in the 2001 grand final.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know who won the 2001 grand final but if my memory is correct, Essendon lost?

I live in Hampton East (Moorabbin).

Not that far apart, perhaps we could PM each other at a later time?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep, looks like we both live in the land of the DFO.
    We will have to PM.
    Regards,
    Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys, dunno if you know this, but Vanbar in Camperdown (Sydney) still have quite a few C41 kits on the shelf when I rang them today. I've reserved 2 for myself but Vanbar would send the rest (6 that I could see) back down to Carlton if you put in an order.

I intend to use the two I've ordered while I test the patterson C41 chemistry. Let me know your results with Kodak kits, but I'm not keen on a 20 litre kit and dividing it into 20 pieces :-) How many films does 500ml of Kodak chemistry process anyway, is it 5 like the agfa? I'll check it out.

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graham, many years ago I asked our developing technicians in the lab that I worked in, this same question.

Their findings were that approximately 8 rolls per litre of 35mm 36 frames was the closest. One could stretch this by about 20%, meaning 10 rolls per litre. They added caveats like, the actual amount of active ingredients per litre etc, etc,.

I also remember reading, (15 or so years ago) on either an Agfa or Kodak kit, 8 rolls of 35mm 36 frame film per litre.

I myself use Jobo rotary and develop 4 rolls at a time in 500ml (35mm).

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Did you look at the Tetenal chemicals? I used them years ago.

Check:

http://www.tetenal.co.uk/acatalog/COLORTEC__E_6.html
    http://www.tetenal.co.uk/acatalog/Classics.html
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan
    Kevin, I'm in the same boat as you . Very recently I spent up big at VanBar buying bucketloads of AP94 (RA4) 5 litre kits.

The long term is that I think it's going to be Fuji or Kodak 20 litre kits broken up into smaller mixes.

Perhaps you and I could go halves in some C41 or RA4 kits. I live about 10 minutes away from your surname's suburb.

Mick.
    Me Too! I'm in Melbourne Northern suburbs. I've also invested in enough raw chemicals to mix my own for a while. I'll keep them on the shelf while I can get Kodak or Agfa Chemistry.

I phoned Kodak recently asking who I could buy C-41 kits off and they told me they no longer import them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mick,

I've used agfa c41 kits for a while, and they state 5 x 120 for 500ml over 3 months :-) Which is why I love them.

I push it out to 8 x 120 or 6 months depending on my shooting habits at the time. I mainly shoot B&W so sometimes color gets left in the fridge. When I get around to processing it is in a Jobo.

I like the agfa kits because 500ml is perfect for me, I simply cannot imagine having 20 litres of developer and bleach-fix going off in bottles :-)

Thanks for your info.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan
    Graham, many years ago I asked our developing technicians in the lab that I worked in, this same question.

Their findings were that approximately 8 rolls per litre of 35mm 36 frames was the closest. One could stretch this by about 20%, meaning 10 rolls per litre. They added caveats like, the actual amount of active ingredients per litre etc, etc,.

I also remember reading, (15 or so years ago) on either an Agfa or Kodak kit, 8 rolls of 35mm 36 frame film per litre.

I myself use Jobo rotary and develop 4 rolls at a time in 500ml (35mm).

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin