Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,412   Online: 923

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The development information gives information for the following formats: 70 mm, 5 in, 9 1/2 in. (I know, I could cut my own sheets, but the 5 or 9 inch rolls were up in the four figures for one roll and I have no way of cutting it myself.)
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought I'd heard of it in 120, though I can only find 135 and 9.5" formats. B&H sells both of them, though they're not available in small quantities. The 135 is $533 for 400', and the 9.5" is $1799; it could be cut to 120 if you have the time, equipment and a VERY DARK room.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's the link to the Kodak page with a pdf file link at the bottom. If that doesn't work, search for Aerochrome III 1443 and it should be first on the list.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...S&pq-path=4013

The pdf file is dated 2005 at the bottom. See page 6 for the film widths I quoted.

I'd rather have it as 8x10 sheets (or 5x12 sheets!)
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all of the replies. To give you some added background, I'm a Forester working for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and have a real use for color IR film for our Forest Health work. We're using color IR to pick out stressed Ash trees that have been attacked by the Emerald Ash Borer (a hideous invasive insect that has the potential of killing all Ash trees in eastern North America). We've used Kodak 70mm color IR for years for all sorts of Forestry work but have just been informed by Kodak that they're no longer making the film in 70mm (we're using two Rollei 6003s' for this type of work, all aerial photography taken at about 5,000 feet). Without this film, or something comparable, we're effectively screwed.

I have managed to find a reference to a Russian-made color IR film but have no idea of it's still in production or available in this country (my guess is no). Again, any and all suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Jim Bielecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, That sounds like great work. Can you create PO's? You may want to put an ad in the Classifieds here on APUG and see if you can find anyone who has a tin or two in the freezer

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, it's sacrilege on this form, but ISTM it should be possible (even pretty easy) to process a digital false color IR image to the same color response as the Kodak film product (assuming you can't find a color IR that does the job). Whether it's financially feasible with your budget having to run through Congress is another question.

The other (locally acceptable) option might be to shoot B&W IR (Kodak has also killed their 70 mm IR, I believe, but it should be a little easier to replace than the color IR) with synchronized frames in two cameras with different filters, and examining the images with color filtration that picks out the infested trees. Come to think of it, though, with Maco killing off IR820c and the 400 version not yet available in larger formats, I'm not sure there's a deep-IR emulsion available anywhere in 70 mm (you need perfed, right?).

Might check if there's a motion picture emulsion that will work for you -- buying a couple thousand feet doesn't sound like it'd be a bad thing, if you have the budget, but you might have to invest in processing machinery too, since a lot of motion picture stocks aren't straight C-41 and very few if any in that size are E-6. IMAX gets their 70 mm film from somewhere, though...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be posibble, as Donald mentioned, to do this digitally. I have made false color IR images before by taking sequential images from a camera with different filters, and then combining them in Photoshop. This is certainly much more difficult and time consuming, not to mention lower quality than the film route.

If all else fails, how about shooting with a three-strip camera rig with B&W IR film, then somehow combining the images?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    I'm pretty sure that Kodak is the only manufacuter of this film; I can't imagine why they'd discontinue it.

They still manufacture Aerochrome III IR, which is a C41 fil, though I'm not sure if it's available in 70mm; I've only heard of it in 135 and 120.
    I looked on the Kodak web site, and the only IR aerial color film currently listed is Aerochrome 1443, and that only in long 9-1/2 inch rolls. http://www.kodak.com/eknec/documents.../EN_ti2562.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aerochrome III is also listed as 1443.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin