Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

70mm Color IR Film

This is a shot in the dark but here goes. Does anybody know of any other manufacturer, besides Kodak, that makes color infrared film in 70mm? Kodak just discontinued their excellent CIR film in 70 mm and we're desperately trying to find an acceptable alternative for Forestry-based work. Any sort of tips, suggestions, etc, will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Bielecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure that Kodak is the only manufacuter of this film; I can't imagine why they'd discontinue it.

They still manufacture Aerochrome III IR, which is a C41 fil, though I'm not sure if it's available in 70mm; I've only heard of it in 135 and 120.

I don't know of any other companies htat make htis (at least in the US), but that certainly doesn't mean that they aren't out there. All literature about CIR photography seems to only mention Kodak's film. With AGFA, Ilford and Konica-Minolta discontinuing their IR B&W films, I think that Kodak & Maco are the only IR film-makers out there, but hte Maco stuff is only B&W ... (And as Kodak is discontinuing their films, Maco is introducing a new one, what does that tell you ...)

<rant>It's really too bad what Kodak's doing to their film line, and the marketing people are going to be kicking themselves in hte face 10 years from now when they realize that the film market really was important, and that many people still do want to buy it. Discontinuing a professional aerographic film seems especially stupid, as there will always be a demand for it, or at least until digital aerial photography becomes cheap and capable of producing the quality and resolution capable with film. The Kodak people seem to forget that Kodak is wher e it is today becuase from the beginning, it was North America's pioneering film manufacturer ... </rant>

anyway ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oops ... double post

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw
    This is a shot in the dark but here goes. Does anybody know of any other manufacturer, besides Kodak, that makes color infrared film in 70mm? Kodak just discontinued their excellent CIR film in 70 mm and we're desperately trying to find an acceptable alternative for Forestry-based work. Any sort of tips, suggestions, etc, will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Bielecki
    Jim......I know this doesn't help you but I threw away a few cans of it, was given to me, I mainly shoot 70mm B&W.

I'll check the back of my fridge and let you know if anything escaped the clean up.

Clayton

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    AAACK!!! You didn't?!?!? That stuff is so cool!! I wish they made it in sheets!
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't mean to or have any right to criticize people, but I don't understand why people throw away film. I mean, unless its so old that bending the film causes it to crack, it's still useful for something.

Even if you don't shoot the format, save it for something (pinhole camera, you may get a cam. in that format, you can always cut it down); and somenody else can always use it.

And, hey, if you cant give it away, people will buy anything on EBay, so post it up there and make some cash ...

And CIR film is quite cool; I'd love to find some, but the stuff that's being manufactured or the leftover stock is so expensive ($18 + for a roll of EIR is rediculous)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242

They still manufacture Aerochrome III IR, which is a C41 fil, though I'm not sure if it's available in 70mm; I've only heard of it in 135 and 120.
    What is Aerochrome III IR?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aerochroem III IR is a false-color infrared reversal film. According to Kodak's website, it can be Reversal processed (E6) or negative processed (C41), which is kind of cool... B&H sells it, though only in 35mm, and it's expensive ($533.00 for 400').

I've never used it, but I've seen results from it that are quite nice ...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's still color IR, but can be processed in either AR-5, E6 to produce slides or, to produce negs, in AN-6 or C41 chemistry. Look under Kodak Aerochrome III Infrared Film 1443/Kodak Aerochrome III Infrared NP Film SO-734 for the tech data on Kodak's website.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Aerochroem III IR is a false-color infrared reversal film. According to Kodak's website, it can be Reversal processed (E6) or negative processed (C41), which is kind of cool... B&H sells it, though only in 35mm, and it's expensive ($533.00 for 400').

I've never used it, but I've seen results from it that are quite nice ...
    Dev'd as E6 or C41? Do you know if it is in fact available in 120? Damn. I thought I had reasearched every colour material

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin