Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,210   Online: 840

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn, I love these techie posts! Makes me want to go back to school and get a chemistry degree.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    The only one still containing formalin that I could find was the C41 stabilizer.

PE
    This is true for Kodak, but other kits still use formalin stabilizers for E-6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth
    This is true for Kodak, but other kits still use formalin stabilizers for E-6.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear.

First, I was just referring back to my original post with the product #s from Kodak kits. and Second, Tetenal, which was the only other kit really mentioned says that they don't use formalin but really do in the form of the precursor.

Thanks. I hope that this is a bit more clear.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE, you mention that Kodak's newer E-6 films don't require Formalin but are not sure about AGFA and Fuji. Does that mean I could possibly be jeapordizing the stability of Fuji films by processing them in the Kodak kit I bought? I use both Fuji and Kodak E-6 films so is it better to use another kit that is compatible with films that may require formalin?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    PE, you mention that Kodak's newer E-6 films don't require Formalin but are not sure about AGFA and Fuji. Does that mean I could possibly be jeapordizing the stability of Fuji films by processing them in the Kodak kit I bought? I use both Fuji and Kodak E-6 films so is it better to use another kit that is compatible with films that may require formalin?
    Well, that depends on whether there is formalin in the conditioner bath, or whether the new 'stabilizer' I mentioned above will work for all films.

I honestly don't know enough, but I do know that Kodak goes to great length to NOT injure or degrade films from other manufacturers. We routinely tested Agfa and Fuji films for all parameters so as to insure compatibility within reasonable limits.

I truly doubt that there will be a problem.

In addition, there is so much cross licensing and andvance notification of changes between the companies, that there is little doubt in my mind that anything would go bad or wrong. The note about older films and newer films being different in this regard (on the EK web site) makes me feel that they would have mentioned Agfa and Fuji if there were a problem.

If you have any doubts, give the film a formalin treatment in the old stabilzer, but I would check with Fuji on that. I doubt if there would be any harm in the treatment or there would be notices elsewhere about it.

Has anyone checked out the Fuji web site? There might be information there.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again PE. I figured that since velvia 50 is one of fuji's older E-6 emulsions if there was a Fuji film that required formalin it would be this one. While I couldn't find any specific info on this subject they do say that Velvia 50 is designed for Kodak E-6, Fujifilm process CR-56 and Fuji/Hunt C6R. Being that the Kodak E-6 chemistry doesn't contain formaldehyde, it seems apparent that formalin/formaldehyde shouldn't be required for Fuji films either as you eluded to. Once again your knowledge on the subject has been extremely helpful to me.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Under NO circumstances should you wash after the stabilization step!

This applies to C41 and E6.

The stabilizer and final rinse solutions are different products intended for different chemical and processing conditions. Use the appropriate solution for your processor.

PE
    PE, you are quite right, and I don't know what I was thinking when I suggested washing after stabilization. I just air dry.

Graham.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I honestly don't know enough,
    PE
    I couldn't possibly disagree more.......

I think you do! A veritable photographic oracle.

And am in awe of your expertise and willingness to help on this forum.
    Thank you very much for all of your contribution PE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    I couldn't possibly disagree more.......

I think you do! A veritable photographic oracle.

And am in awe of your expertise and willingness to help on this forum.
    Thank you very much for all of your contribution PE.
    Baxter, thanks.

I really wish I knew more, and that my knowledge was more up-to-date.

I'm always glad to help. When you get 'old' the best thing you can do is pass your knowledge on to others.

I constrain myself to answers, and sometimes get too technical, but I could really go far beyond what I have posted sometimes, for example going into system design (emulsion, film or process) and other things not of general interest.

Anyone interested? Just contact me. I'm here.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin