Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 799

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Finally decided to do it myself #II

I have a roll of 35mm Kodak 400 UC that I'd like to develop myself with my Jobo CPE 2 Plus.

My initial browsing around for C41 chemistry leads me to the Tetanal Press Kit (1 Shot). The other manufacturers, Agfa, Kodak, Fuji, etal seem to make large volume quantities in powder form that will in all probability go to waste in my little operation.

Are you familiar with the Tetanal Press Kit or can you suggest an alternative in liquid that a small batch can be made for one shot processing?

Thanks in advance,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't think any of Agfa,Kodak or Fuji made powdered C-41 chemicals. It's all liquid. Agfa makes a small four roll kit but it's relatively expensive. Last I checked all small kits were expensive. It's cheaper to buy a bigger kit and throw out half -(

You can try

http://www.jdphotochem.com/

they've got small kits but once you factor in shipping it might be better to buy something locally.

Shooter
    35mm
    As Nick says, I believe that most C-41 kits are in liquid form, although there may be some exceptions. Paterson sells separate developer and bleach/fix items that, when bought together, could be considered a "kit." (B&H has such a bundle, but I believe their bundle price is higher than the individual components, so check on that.) Whatever you buy, if it lacks a stabilizer, you might want to look into getting some separately to ensure your negatives won't fade prematurely. The stabilizer contains formaldehyde, though, so be sure to wear gloves when using it. (Note that non-formaldehyde "final rinse" isn't the same thing as stabilizer and doesn't provide the same benefits.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if anybody sells C-41 developer in small bottles but if they did you could buy big bottle of bleach , big bottle of fix and big bottle of stabilizer. You could even use the fix for B&W. The fix etc should keep just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys,

I think I will just buy the Tetanal 1L kit and shoot some color over the holidays. I think the chemistry should last 6-8 weeks if sealed air tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I`ve used the Tetenal press kit several times and it`s great stuff, but with one roll roll to process you`ll waste a lot of $$$$$$
    Wait until you have 8-10 rolls as color chemicals doesn`t keep well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Thanks guys,

I think I will just buy the Tetanal 1L kit and shoot some color over the holidays. I think the chemistry should last 6-8 weeks if sealed air tight.
    I bought the Tetenal 5L kit from Nova in the U.K. It was my first excursion into C41 processing. It was probably more than I should have bought given my rate of usage but I have had this kit for months and developed my last film a couple of weeks ago. It was fine. So there is every reason to expect the 1L kit to last just as long. I only make up enough for each film and use Tetenal Protectan gas to eliminate air from the concentrates.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blix@broadpark.no
    I`ve used the Tetenal press kit several times and it`s great stuff, but with one roll roll to process you`ll waste a lot of $$$$$$
    Wait until you have 8-10 rolls as color chemicals doesn`t keep well.
    I don't understand why people repeat this nonsense.

C41 mixed chemistry will last at least 3 months in tightly capped bottles, more likely 6 months if they are full to the brim or if butane has been used to evacuate oxidizing agents.

Even partially used developers will last at LEAST 3 months if treated with a butane squirt after each film (Agfa CN70 process)

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graham is correct!

Bleach will keep for a year or more unused, even in partly filled bottles. Fix will keep until it begins to get cloudy, or about 6 months or longer.

Stabilzer keeps unused forever or until bugs start to grow in it. You see that as thready filaments. I have never gotten bugs though others report that they have. Bugs don't like formalin so I believe that it is not a common event to even have stabilzer go bad at all.

My developer is still good after 6 months in closed nitrogen blanketed containers. It is bad when it begins to turn from straw colored to coffee colored. A dip test with leader will help you check it out. It should develop a piece of leader to dmax in about 20 mins at 70 deg F or 20 deg C.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin