Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
You're already on my shortlist in relation to anything chemistry related for photography. I just wish I knew enough to ask more :-)
Perhaps you could tell me why my bottle of Blix has gone reflective silver so I can no no longer see the level in the bottle. The entire (plastic) bottle has turned silver.
Does this indicate that maybe the blix should be replaced as it has absorbed enough silver to plate the bottle? As discussed in another thread, I replensish my blix, by throwing out (say) 250ml and adding enough to make up the volume again. Volume is normally 600 ml.
That blix may not be exhausted entirely, but there comes a point of diminishing returns. I would throw it out and start over. Clean the bottle well too, as the silver film will start to react with the fresh blix. Use dichromate in sulfuric acid to clean the bottle. That should clean off the surface. If there is sulfur on the bottle surface as well, use strong lye to clean that off. Make sure you don't mix the sulfuric acid and lye. That will spatter and boil. Wash well between treatments of these two (lye and dichromate/acid) as they are incompatible.
Originally Posted by gbroadbridge