Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 696

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    My point is, if you or anyone needs help on bleaches, blixes or fixes, give me a shout. I'm here! I've also done extensive work with bleaches and fixes for film as well as blixes for papers, and so I feel that I can speak authoritatively on the subject.
    PE
    Hi PE,

You're already on my shortlist in relation to anything chemistry related for photography. I just wish I knew enough to ask more :-)

Perhaps you could tell me why my bottle of Blix has gone reflective silver so I can no no longer see the level in the bottle. The entire (plastic) bottle has turned silver.

Does this indicate that maybe the blix should be replaced as it has absorbed enough silver to plate the bottle? As discussed in another thread, I replensish my blix, by throwing out (say) 250ml and adding enough to make up the volume again. Volume is normally 600 ml.

Regards
    Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    Hi PE,

You're already on my shortlist in relation to anything chemistry related for photography. I just wish I knew enough to ask more :-)

Perhaps you could tell me why my bottle of Blix has gone reflective silver so I can no no longer see the level in the bottle. The entire (plastic) bottle has turned silver.

Does this indicate that maybe the blix should be replaced as it has absorbed enough silver to plate the bottle? As discussed in another thread, I replensish my blix, by throwing out (say) 250ml and adding enough to make up the volume again. Volume is normally 600 ml.

Regards
    Graham.
    That blix may not be exhausted entirely, but there comes a point of diminishing returns. I would throw it out and start over. Clean the bottle well too, as the silver film will start to react with the fresh blix. Use dichromate in sulfuric acid to clean the bottle. That should clean off the surface. If there is sulfur on the bottle surface as well, use strong lye to clean that off. Make sure you don't mix the sulfuric acid and lye. That will spatter and boil. Wash well between treatments of these two (lye and dichromate/acid) as they are incompatible.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin