Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,855   Online: 786

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

UniColor Blix and "Double fixing" Help Please

Good Day,
    I have 2 sets of UniColor Blix (Made in Beautiful Dexter Michigan) catalog # 101211. The bottles are labeled Part A 128oz, Part B 64oz, and Part C 32oz.

I do not have the mixing instructions and could use some help with the final quantity. I think, but am not sure, that each set is intended to make 4 gallons. I have searched the web and came up empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

In addition (Photo Engineer), I would be interested in knowing the effects of over fixing film. If I were to run the blix for 6.5min's followed by a wash and a fix step will there be any undue effect to the film. My understanding is that bleach and fix are completion steps. Which is to say after they've done their job they don't do anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to know some things first.

Is it a film blix or a paper blix. I assume film, but I don't want to be wrong.

Which part is RED, and which part is the fixer (slightly syrupy ammonium hypo) and what does the label read for contents on the parts?

You are correct. Blix, Bleach and Fix go to completion and don't further harm the film. You may get additional unwanted swell at the high process temps though, so don't overdo it. You may also get some iron retention or have a poorer wash after the fix if things go too long. This can increase stain or cause a slight cloudiness in film. I would say that over 10 mins at 100F would be in excess for those tail end solutions.

In any case, if you overdo one or more of those, the wash step following it should be increased a bit.

Don't overdo the stabilzer or final rinse though. That is not a completion reaction.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it is for C41 process (although I did find a thread where someone was, at higher dilutions, promoting it for RA4)

A: 128oz Ammonium Triosulfate Sodium Sulfate
    B: 32oz Acetic Acid
    C: 64oz Ammonium Ferric EDTA (Red like coke Syrup)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Yes it is for C41 process (although I did find a thread where someone was, at higher dilutions, promoting it for RA4)

A: 128oz Ammonium Triosulfate Sodium Sulfate
    B: 32oz Acetic Acid
    C: 64oz Ammonium Ferric EDTA (Red like coke Syrup)
    Looks fair for a C41 4 gallon Blix. Should work, but watch out for silver retention.

Using just ammonium hypo in a Ferric EDTA blix for film is iffy.

The proportions are wrong for RA4. At 6 gallons dilution the hypo is about right, but the Ferric EDTA is too low. I would use it as-is for RA4, it won't hurt, just overkill (umm - so to speak). And wash well.. If you get a yellowish iron stain in RA4, add about 2 g/l Na2EDTA and readjust the pH to 6.5 with either 28% acetic acid or dilute ammonia if necessary.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks.

I won't be using it for RA4 and I'm still not sure about using it for C41. I just mixed my last batch of Kodak Bleach and was debating wether to use this next.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin