Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,758   Online: 946

Shooter
    Medium Format

Slightly Older Chemicals???

Here's one for you guys! When the studio I worked at closed down 2 years ago I had the chance to take posession of the unused chemicals, all liquid concentrates. They are unopened and presently sitting in my basement. They are all in the original bottles, packages and boxes. All have been kept in the dark and the temp has been kept at roughly 50 degrees or so.

I guess my question is this. Can these still be used? I'm re-locating my studio and gaining a bit of extra room- leaving space for some lab equipment. I figured that if I have the chems I might as well utilize them! Here's a list of what I have:

Flexcolor-
    fix/replentisher
    bleach III NR replentisher
    develper parts A,B,C
    final rinse replentisher

Ektacolor-
    bleach-fix replentisher parts A,B
    RA developer replentisher parts A,B,C
    stabilizer replentisher

Shooter
    Multi Format

not quite an answer

Well... I'd be a little more suspect of the liquids... YET, I'd guess that unless they were exposed to the atmosphere, they are in good shape. I'd also not be surprised to hear that there was a slight loss in speed...

Over the last year and a half I've been using up chems that were given to me rather than tossed - they were all from teh late 80's mid 90's.. BUT - all in powder form. With one exception - a jug of Clayton print/film developer, which I have not used yet as I hate to have to retest everything after only one gallon... All the chemistry that I have made up from the powders is A-OK, with not so much as a hickup. Times for known film/dev used straight from The Mas Dev Chart have been ON enough for me to do a tweak here and there, and that's all.

NOW - it looks to me as though it's all color chems that you are talking about.. and THAT, my friend, I have no idea about.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    lol Well I do appreciate it anyway! Then again, if there were a slight change in speed and that was the only real problem I'd be able to calibrate the machines to compensate I'd think- running through the density and other checks. I think anyway...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the absolute, very best, primo, A1, top shelf, wisened by years like good booze, ZEN Master answer would be - try it and see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only a few weeks ago I opened a packet (5 litre) of RA4 Agfa kit. I had this for close to three years and it worked perfectly.

On the other hand I mixed, or attempted to mix up a ½ a packet of RA4 developer that had been opened about 6 months, it was off, this was only 2 weeks ago.

You'll soon know if it's off.

Bleach I have used after 4 years.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the powder developers go off much faster than liquid concentrates if you attempt to mix a portion of the packet. I've had patterson RA4 developer concentrate show no change after 3 years in a half empty bottle. I do evacuate the air and replace with butane

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the developing agent portion is discolored or has dark matter floating in it, the kit is bad, otherwise it is probably still good.

If the fixer is off color (yellow) or has a scum or particles in it, it is bad.

Otherwise, I would say the chemistry is ok.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds good to me. Just wanted to make sure there was a chance to have everything work out right. Since a few of the chems are two or three part mixes I'd figure they'd be fairly safe if not opened or mixed. Also, none of them seem to be discolored or show any signs of oxidation evident in opened or used chems. Cool. As soon as I get the lab equipment I'll be trying this stuff out- hopefully in the next week and a half or so.

Also, one other question that I just thought of. I know that when our techs set up the machines in the studio I used to work for they used "starter" chems. Are these just diluted or are they slightly different. What's the skinny on this?? Can I prep or start up a machine with regular chems?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience, the only starter you might need would be for the C41 developer which 'preseasons' the developer.

The RA color paper replenisher and the bleach and fix solutions don't need starter. In fact, I like the RA paper replensiher as-is. It gives a good result with no starter. I use RA-RT in 10 L kits split to 5 liter all the time.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much guys! Good to know we've all got someplace to go with questions! I really appreciate your help!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin