Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,429   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

color film for paper negatives ??

does anyone use color paper to make paper negatives?

i know there are "pinholers" out there... you folks do this sort of thing ?

its gotta be cheeper than 8x10 film

TIA
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is or was a thread on I think the LF site on doing something like this. IIRC some used Ilford paper. Some used RA-4 paper.

You can also check out this thread.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00A4vW

I've got the same feeling about 8x10 colour film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the link nick ...

its good to know that i am not way off in left field

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People certainly do this, as RA-4 paper and processing chemicals are not expensive. As they mention on hte site, the paper can be reversal processed to make a positive. I have seen this once before; the colors are ot exactly perfect, but its a really cool effect.

It's cheap; 100 sheets of 5x7 Kodak stuff is $15.95 at B&H.

I'd imagine that you could even cut down a paper roll and put it into a rollfilm camera; wouldn't that be neat... though exposures would be lengthy, as I'd assume that the paper is close to B&W paper's speeds in the ISO 1 to 5 range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are hand processing the paper or can slow the speed of your processor, then Duraclear would make a great 'paper' neg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My idea was to do this for an ULF box camera. Even B&W film is expensive in ULF sizes. Using roll paper 10x20 or 12x36 or anything else could easily be done. I wasn't expecting 100% correct colour. That would likely be too much work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over on PN, Bujor was making paper negatives and positives in a camera using color paper.

It is possible to cross process Endura paper and make direct positive prints, but the contrast is high and the subject matter and filtration must be chosen with care.

Use Dektol 1:3 for 2' for the first developer, then a stop and reversal exposure. Then process as usual in the RA4 process and you can get a pretty good reversal print.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for all your input

... i was thinking of treating the color paper as i would a black and white paper negative and making a contact print from it, not a direct postive ... but after reading the suggestions on PN and here, i might
    change my thinking when i gather enough time+energy to do this sort of thing

... were there every dry(in)-dry(out) color print processors ? ( i am thinking of something like an ektamatic ( is that spelled right ? ) or Xray processor that people might use to make rc black ane white prints w/o having to deal with trays of chemicals ) ...

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were lots of dry-in-dry-out processors but none that can be used the way you wish. Ektaflex is one that comes to mind as well as Ektaline and a few others. Some ran at rather high speed and took continuous rolls of paper.

There are a series of small tank processors that Jobo sells for this purpose as well. The Nova series is very nice. I use their drum processor for B&W up to 16x20 as well as color.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doesn't Durst make a processor that comes in modules?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin