Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

E6 How hard/cheap is it ? !Seldom serious post!

I went back and read some of the old threads regarding the subject.
    I saw that Ole started doing E6 himself, how is it ?
    According to some of the posts its a piece of cake according to others its not for everybody, what to believe ?
    Well the reason for all this is the fact that I am doing quite soem chromes in 35mm and there is a possibility I will in LF too, that is when I get to that. So researching the economy in LF before stepping up I found that one slide 4X5, or whatever, is the same price at the lab as a 35mm or 120 film (7$]. Doing the stuff myself should cost 1/9 of that in chemistry, now that looks reasonable
    Next thought was, should I buy a CPE-2 with lifter to gain more control and comfort then maybe do all the LF devs and all the E6 in it.
    Regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Soren -

I used to do my own 35mm E-6 processing. My experience was that it was more economical than commercial processing if I shot enough film to be able to use a batch of chemicals to exhaustion within the relatively short shelf-life of the chemicals. It was also a simple (albeit boring) process - no more difficult than black & white processing.

The only serious challenge was the need to maintain a reasonably consistent temperature (around 100 deg F). I used a large plastic bin as a tempering bath and found that this was close enough for my needs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just noticed I placed this thread in the wrong forum. Moderator please move it.
    Sorry
    Regards Søren
    Last edited by Soeren; 11-17-2005 at 06:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Søren, I have the CPE2 and have had it for about 15-16 years, with the lift.

I bought it new, along with some carefully picked drums and reels. I can and do develop all of my 35mm, 120 when I have one and also 4x5" with ease.

Some people say you need the expert drums (which will not fit on the CPE2) for 4x5" for the best possible developing, that may be, but, for most people, the CPE2 is perfect.

I have done all sorts of developing from B&W reversal, B&W neg, E6, C41, RA4, Duratrans, Cibachrome, colour print film, etc, etc,.

You will not regret, buying one!

I believe that the cheapest place in the world, for second hand CPE2 machines, is the UK, followed by Germany.

To put the popularity of the CPE2 machine in perspective, I was in Germany in a small town called Waiblingen, Nth of Stuttgart. There is a small photo shop where I bought cameras from in 1985 and 1986, I got to know the main salesman there quite well. I mentioned to him that he appeared to sell quite a few of these CPE2 machines, his reply, that his shop sold over 200 units the previous year, staggered me.

In 1987 that salesman came to Australia and he stayed with us, he gave me some reels and odds and ends for the CPE2 as a gift. He then mentioned that they had moved just over 300 of them in the last year.

I think the reason they sold so many, was because the Germans used more E6 film for the home market than anywhere else in the world.

In fact the market in Germany was so biased to the CPE2 machine, that Ilford started selling their B&W developing kit for ID11 in 600ml kits, which happens to be the amount required for the most economical 35mm developing in that machine

Mick.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Moved!

It was easier than I thought, and the problems with doing 5x7" in paper drums much less than I thought.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like its the thing to do. So now Ill just have to look up a CPE2, a 5X7 camera + and a 4X5 reduction back. Ole, 5X7 in paper drums ? No scratches ?
    Regards Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No scratches.

I scratched on EFKE 100 badly through disconnecting my brain before loading the drum, but the E6 ones were unharmed. 18x24 BW works great too, as does all the sizes I've tried up to 30x40cm.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any one got a CPE2 + lift and a 5X7 for sale, cheap

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to do my own E-6 processing and it certainly was cheaper than commercial processing because I used the formulas published in the Dignan Newletter. Not all that hard either.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Soeren

I have just started doing my own E6 in a Jobo ATL-1000 using the standard 2906N 4x5 reel and have achieved great results, once I had adjusted the colour balance. This is done by altering pH for which I bought a digital meter from e**y for about £25 and added Sodium Hyroxide to move Colour developer pH from 12.0 to 12.50. Apparently it differs for individual water supplies.

I chose the Fotospeed 3 bath chemicals and these have produced results comparable with the pro-lab at a fraction of the cost. The standard dev time of 6:30 is spot on when I rate Velvia at ISO40. Cost is about £0.55 per sheet including sleeve, instead of £2.35.

I chose the ATL Jobo since it is automatic and I want an easy life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin