Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,166   Online: 1052

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak 5 liter E-6 kit partially froze during shipping; is it bad?

Hi all,

We've been having cold weather here and my Kodak 5l E-6 kit that was supposed to be delivered yesterday didn't show up until today. As a consequence I believe it was sitting in an unheated UPS truck overnight. As soon as it came I opened it. Fortunately the color developer part B was only slushy and didn't freeze enough to shatter the glass bottle. I'm not so sure about the final rinse though. It was pretty well frozen, but now that it's thawing the bottle is only about 1/3 full. Is this bottle supposed to be full? The reason I ask is that it appears to be the exact same size as a bottle of Photo-Flo, but the final rinse bottle says it contains 50ml and the Photo-Flo bottle says it contains 118ml, so it appears that there is about the right amount in the final rinse bottle. Finally, do you think the cold temperatures have changed the chemistry for the worse (I wouldn't think so, but what do I know)?

thanks,
    Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's not a whole lot that the cold can do to the developer; the chemistry's stability is not affected by the heat or cold trerribly. So long as the components of the chemistyy haven't visibly separated, it'll probably be fine. I'd test it out just to make sure.

I've seen B&W developer freeze and still be fine; try it out ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin