Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,719   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheap color film.

I just returned from "The Dollar Store" with a roll of Likon color print film.
    Figured it might be good for testing some of the "beaters" I,v acquired this summer. Get it processed at my local department store for $4.50.
    Anyone familiar with this film? An offshoot of Lucky perhaps?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where is it made?

Germany meant Agfa.
    Japan meant either Fuji or Konica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got some a few months ago at Dollarama. (the one in College Park, for any Torontonians). Claimed 200 speed. I have a roll in the camera now, but haven't processed it. I think it's made in China.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    I just returned from "The Dollar Store" with a roll of Likon color print film.
    Figured it might be good for testing some of the "beaters" I,v acquired this summer. Get it processed at my local department store for $4.50.
    Anyone familiar with this film? An offshoot of Lucky perhaps?

Mike
    Give us a report and scan of a couple to compare with Fuji, Kodak etc. In the U.K. at the moment Fuji from certain suppliers is great value. At the prices being asked it would take some beating. I have never seen or heard of Likon. Maybe Fuji quality and prices has dissuaded the Likon distributor from entering the U.K.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is not made in Japan or the US, please let us know in about 10 years how the images look. You might not be too pleased. There are huge improvements in current films WRT dye stability that might not become evident for a number of years.

In addition, evaluating grain and sharpness sometimes is difficult unless you have a very good method of comparison. Sometimes, unless you make comparisons to color charts, color evaluation is rather subjective as well.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If it is marked made in the EU it could be made by Ferrania in Italy (formerly 3M) who make a lot of private label films or by Fuji's plant in Holland. But as others have speculated it could come from China.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I've shot and developed a roll of the Likon film, but haven't scanned any of it yet. It is marked "Made in China".

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Well, I've shot and developed a roll of the Likon film, but haven't scanned any of it yet. It is marked "Made in China".
    In that case it is likely to be made by Lucky or perhaps it is made in Kodak's Chinese plant. I think Kodak gobbled up most of the competition in China.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    In that case it is likely to be made by Lucky or perhaps it is made in Kodak's Chinese plant. I think Kodak gobbled up most of the competition in China.
    I always thought foreign companies couldn't compete in China without a Chinese partner. That is the case for auto manufacturers in China.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I always thought foreign companies couldn't compete in China without a Chinese partner. That is the case for auto manufacturers in China.
    Lucky is Kodak's Chinese partner firm. Kodak owns a substantial fraction of the company (or so I've read).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin