Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,495   Online: 841

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it is worth to all of you, Ilfochrome is probably the easiest color material to duplicate in the home lab wiithout production equipment, of all of the color products manufactured today.

I have hand coated a work alike to Cibachrome back in the 70s with commonly available azo dyes selected from a catalog, and 3 spectrally sensitized emulsions. The big hit you will take is time making it, and on-easel speed.

So, if conventional materials vanish, and color is important, Ilfo/Ciba - chrome is probably the only one that will survive in the hands of the high end art or hobby photographic expert.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    PE, how would you say making your own Ilfochrome compares to coating your own color carbon?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis
    Wow! This thread has come a long way from encouraging someone to try Ciba's!

I have never claimed that my Ciba's represent the real color found in the natural world. What's the point in that?
    Velvia + Ciba = INTENSITY!
    Threads do tend to take a life of their own, like a conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cibachromes. I have one that has been hanging on my wall for the past 20+ years, without a hint of fading; it is just as brilliant today as the day I printed it. My issue is not that Cibachrome isn't a great process, it is. But, it is also very labor intensive, and I don't have the time, nor desire to spend all my spare time in the darkroom; I prefer actually taking photos. The other issue I have is repeatability - I want my 11x14s to look just like my 30x40s, and I want the first print to look like the 30th print. Even so, I would consider a limited edition run on Cibachrome (I have a Saunders LPL 4500II enlarger in a box, somewhere), but I simply don't have any place to put it - I live in a one room studio apartment; in Hawaii, housing is simply too expensive right now to move (1 bedroom apartments are going for about $1200 a month now).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Robert, you need to spend winters in Minnesota or someplace other than Hawai'i with a nicely heated darkroom, so you won't want to go outside and take pictures.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Robert, you need to spend winters in Minnesota or someplace other than Hawai'i with a nicely heated darkroom, so you won't want to go outside and take pictures.
    I could easily be tempted, if we were talking about New Zealand, say Queenstown.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    PE, how would you say making your own Ilfochrome compares to coating your own color carbon?
    Due to the thickness, carbon is hard to coat. You just about have to cast it. I would like to reformulate it to get a better coating quality and methodology, so carbon is not neat or clean.

OTOH, the Cibachrome is coated in 6 stages or 5 depending on formulation, but can require up to 8 or 9 stages if you do it according to the Ciba/Ilford method. As you do each stage, you reduce the yield due to coating imperfections and you also have to do this all in total darkness.

So, they are both hard and messy.

Actually, coating matrix film as Jim Browning does is probably the best route to color printing if you like spending lots of time in the darkroom. The time taken making 1 dye transfer is about the same as the time to coat a few sheets of the Cibachrome material, and the yield might be comparable. The difference is that the dye transfer has more control knobs to turn and the dye transfer matrices allow you to crank out duplicates by the dozen until they wear out.

So, actually Matrix and Pan Matrix film are the other contenders for color, but dye transfer is not a true 'color' material in the sense of chromogenic and dye bleach materials.

What I fear is that if conventional color ever vanishes from the marketplace, it will be almost impossible to re-start manufacture as it is so cost intensive to start up and so 'art' intensive. As the engineers die off, this will become a very real problem for the future of conventonal, making a 'restart' virtually impossible. (remember, I'm talking color here - there are a lot of B&W engineers out there at very good companies such as Ilford, Kentmere and others)

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outofoptions
    I thought that conventional is being used in most of the places that do digital now anyhow? Cheaper than inkjet so folks are taking their prints in... Or do I have this wrong... again... sigh....
    It has pretty well dwindled down. There are only an handful of color papers on the market now, as far as I can tell; Fuji has 6 or 7 papers (mostly variations) and Kodak has 3 (Kodak has RA-4 Black and White paper), only 1 type R, Ilfochrome left (as far as I know). There may be more, but these are the only ones I am aware of.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    I want to try some Ilfochrome printing of some of my slides.

Anything I should know before I start - I have a Jobo drum for processing.

What I am wondering about is colour balance - presumably there is not much to do here?

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated

I see the chemicals kit is quite expensive - anyone know the best prices in the UK?

Thanks for any help,
    Matt
    I'm attaching a .pdf file about Ilfochromes that documents my success with home-brewed, divided developers for controlling contrast. It's also a big money-saver.

Larry
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac
    I'm attaching a .pdf file about Ilfochromes that documents my success with home-brewed, divided developers for controlling contrast. It's also a big money-saver.

Larry
    Thanks very much Larry - very interesting.

I will study this more when I am at home (in office at present)

Thanks,
    Matt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin