Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,918   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Freezing color paper.

Hi,

How many years can I freeze color RA-4 paper ,( fuji crystal archive or kodak endura), and still expect to get good results with no color shifts when printing with it?

Thanks,
    Rob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colour shifts are not the issues I've encountered with paper past its prime. Both Kodak and fuji can develop a warm, dirty white and I have had fuji go pink overall, but mostly in the base. I have successfully used paper that has been sotred for more than a year at room temp (or cooler), but can't answer about frozen. Most paper I have doesnt sit for more than a few months (stored in a cool basement).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew
    Hi,

How many years can I freeze color RA-4 paper ,( fuji crystal archive or kodak endura), and still expect to get good results with no color shifts when printing with it?

Thanks,
    Rob.
    I have kept Endura on the shelf in my darkroom which is 68F all winter but pretty hot in the summer. It showed no change over that year.

I routinely keep it either frozen or refrigerated though, but the shelf life of the new Endura is remarkably good.

PE

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    WhenI use to work in a lab years ago we sued to store paper and film in a huge freezer and I have seen paper a few years old print jsut fine with no problems at all. But the paper was put into a freezer from day 1.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Freezing works well. I have Agfa Color paper, opened and later frozen ~ ten years ago. Still perfectly OK.

BTW - Hats off to Ole for his "Butane" tip. A Tetenal RA-4 5 liter kit opened in March of this year and religiously protected from oxidation by a 3 - 5 second injection of butane from my Bernz-o-Matic Soldering Torch was just used up three days ago. Still *fine* after all that time stored (partially filled bottles) in my darkroom at 70 - 75 degrees F.

No, NO - I DON'T light the thing before use ... Shee...!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm interested in the comments about storing RA-4 paper at room temperature. I've just started with RA-4 printing, and the box I've got (Fuji type P III), as well as everything I've read in books, says the paper must be refrigerated. Is this "must" overblown, or are there paper-to-paper differences and I just happened to get one that requires refrigeration? It'd be a bit more convenient if I didn't have to refrigerate the stuff I expect to use within a few months, but I'll refrigerate it if it'll provide consistency benefits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    I'm interested in the comments about storing RA-4 paper at room temperature. I've just started with RA-4 printing, and the box I've got (Fuji type P III), as well as everything I've read in books, says the paper must be refrigerated. Is this "must" overblown, or are there paper-to-paper differences and I just happened to get one that requires refrigeration? It'd be a bit more convenient if I didn't have to refrigerate the stuff I expect to use within a few months, but I'll refrigerate it if it'll provide consistency benefits.

I know nothing about room temperature storage of Fuji papers.

I know that each generation of Kodak color paper has had the goal of improving raw stock keeping and I had the chance to test it by leaving several boxes on the shelf for a year. They survived with no change.

AAMOF, the Supra II and Supra III survived, but with a red speed loss. Within a year, the prints required about 20 red more filtration to fix the problem. There was no other significant problem.

Ektacolor Plus, 30, and 37 all had the same red speed loss, but even more so.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    I got the above mentioned warm, dirty whites after storing Fuji Crystal Archive paper at room temperature for a few months. I'd refrigerate it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Imke
    I got the above mentioned warm, dirty whites after storing Fuji Crystal Archive paper at room temperature for a few months. I'd refrigerate it.
    I just came from the darkroom where I found that all my supra ja ultra endura boxes may have gone bad. They developed very dirty warm white. When I put an unexposed paper straight into the bilx, I got nice clean whites. But processing it through developer makes the whites go brown/gray. Is this typical for outdated paper?
    As this was true for 3 different boxes, I tried mixing fresh chemistry from different brand, omitted the stop bath, chased for light leaks in the darkroom and everything else I could imagine. The papers are around 1.5 years old and have been always refridgerated except the past two months when they have been in cool ambient temperature.
    How long do your papers typically last?

regards

Esa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Esa, I have stored Endura at room temperature for up to 1 year, as well as Supra I, II and III for that long and longer. The Endura showed no change, but the Supra papers showed a shift to the red and they lost some speed. I saw no significant increase in dmin in any of them.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin