Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,903   Online: 1178

Shooter
    Medium Format

Optimal 800asa colour and 1600asa B&W negative 120 roll films

I wondered what medium format shooters prefer as a fast 800asa film?

Also, I plan to shoot in a church soon (not a wedding) and am considering which 800asa film to use. I'm thinking about Kodak Portra 800 or Fuji NPZ 800.

I expect substantial "golden" tones in the light given the late afternoon sunlight likely to enter through the windows as well as the non-fluro interior lighting. The interior is substantially clad in white marble. Si I expect to use a "blue" filter occasionally to keep the undesired golden tones lower for some shots.

AND, I will shoot some B&W thinking I will need 1600asa to keep people shots sharp. So am looking to find the finest 1600 grain possible - Fuji Neopan?

I hope to be able to enlarge some of the images (6x6, 6x9 and 6x12) up to A1 or even A0 prints.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format

... and what is the optimal exposure rating?

... and I forgot to add: with the recommended 800asa colour negative, what speed am I best to rate it at to help ensure opening up some of the shadows especially since there may be significant light variation in the wider angle images, and if the film is a bit contrasty? Am I best just to rate it at the nominal 800 or say 640asa?

I was told that Portra 800 is not very contrasty, so maybe I'd simply expose for 800asa; whereas I was told NPZ 800 is a bit more contrasty.

Also, with the B&W 1600 negative film, should I expose for a somewhat lower speed for a similar purpose if the film tends to be contrasty (as I do with XP2 when shooting it - 250asa instead of 400asa)?

Many thanks again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I understand that people recommend exposing Ilford 3200 at 1600 for good results; though I've never personally experimented with that film before.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji Neopan 1600 only comes in 35mm, not in 120 rollfilm. Going on what nihraquk says, your best bet is probably downrating Ilford Delta 3200 to 1600. Otherwise you will have to uprate Neopan 400 or some other 400 speed film as there is no 1600 speed B & W film in 120 size on the market. Regret I know nothing of the 800 speed colour films you're considering.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Confusion!! The title talks about B&W, but the films mentioned in the body of the original post are color.

There's only one medium format B&W film faster than ISO 400: Delta 3200 (which is really about ISO 800-1000 equivalent, but pushes extremely well).

Fuji makes a couple ISO 800 and 1600 *color* negative films, and Kodak makes one ISO 800 (Portra 800), but none of those are B&W; all C-41 B&W films I'm aware of are ISO 400.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin