Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,499   Online: 963

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printing a B&W Neg Optically on Kodak Metallic Paper

Has anyone printed on Kodak Endura Metallic paper using B&W Negs optically? I have a liitle personal project that I'm going to do and wanted to stay traditonal. I have access to a color enlarger and RA-4 processor but would like to avoid a steep learning/experimental curve. Does anyone have any tips on a way to approach this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never tried it, but one of my professors recommended sandwiching a piece of clear color neg (orange base) with the B&W.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Jones
    Has anyone printed on Kodak Endura Metallic paper using B&W Negs optically? I have a liitle personal project that I'm going to do and wanted to stay traditonal. I have access to a color enlarger and RA-4 processor but would like to avoid a steep learning/experimental curve. Does anyone have any tips on a way to approach this?
    No, but I believe that Kodak has a couple of RA4 papers designed specifically for printing B&W.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...14.24.34&lc=en
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wanted to print specifically on the Endura Metallic paper because it fits the "vision" of my project where the subject has lots of shinny shimmering surfaces that would pop off that paper. I often print on this paper in color and B&W digitally but was going to try it traditionally. I do plan on testing this out though and will report back my experience but if others may have tried this on any color paper please chime in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a few occasions I've printed B&W MP neg on colour MP print film. The only thing that needed attention was the gamma to which the B&W neg was developed - so my recommendation is simply to experiment with different neg development times (ie increase) to get the right gamma match. Using a piece of orange-masked blank neg film in the light path upstream of the neg (not sandwiching it with the neg) is a good idea - we used a piece of 5-4 (not 4x5, because we did it in the UK).

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have you tried Cachet Expo AG, which is a RC B&W metallic paper? I got some for one print that I think it will work for (a big pipe organ), but haven't had a chance to print it yet. That would give you a way to get the metallic effect on a true B&W gelatin silver paper and would avoid the B&W->RA4 issues.

I'm not sure what brand this paper is being sold under now. I think it is made by Efke, and I bought it from Freestyle, but I believe that Maco sold it under their brand for a while, and I'd imagine J&C can get it, but it may not be on their stock list.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You should run into no problems with this workflow. Others have given good suggestions , basically you are changing the filters to give a good black
    I have always found that a very slight sepia selenium tone is easy to achieve.
    good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you everyone for the input and Thanks David for the tip on the RC B&W Metallic Paper, now that you bring it up I do remember reading some info on it. I'll check out Freestyle.

Thanks Again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin