Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,432   Online: 968

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Seven year old Technical Pan developed with ..... :~)

So, some of you might remember that I recently picked up some out of date Kodak Technical Pan film at a flea market and was wondering how to develop it. I do have a small Paterson tank system, so I shot the first roll a week or so ago and got so frustrated trying to load it onto the reel that I ended up throwing it out and going to the kitchen where I drowned my sorrows in orange juice!! Well, ok, I did put a bit of ginger ale in with the OJ for effect,
    Anyway, being the reasoneable, patient saint of a human being that I am, I thought to myself - "self?, it's just film - if other folks can get it onto the roll, you can too" ...
    Sooo..... today I exposed another roll and this time I was able to get the ^&^$#*!!! stuff onto the reel, whereupon I decide that I should throw all caution to the wind and experiment with developers. In keeping with that spirit of adventure, I mixed 250ml of Adams variant D23 with 250ml of borax extender (same stuff that I use for my D-D23 in 8x10), and soaked my Tech Pan in it for 6 minutes, agitating for 15 seconds every minute - yeah, I know - nuts eh?
    Well .... it worked. I stopped it after 6 minutes with a 60 second bath of kodak indicator stop and then fixed it for 5 minutes with Ilford rapid fix and then washed the film for 30 minutes in running water
    The photos look GREAT!!! This was the first roll through my $20.00 auction sale Franka Bonafix and I gotta say I'm quite pleased.

So ... D23 mixed with Borax works to develop Tech Pan

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear about your success (now you gave me a reason to dig my boxes of 4x5 TechPan out of the deeper corners of my freezer, LOL).

BTW, if you ever have a chance to get to the Henry's downtown location, ask for Mark. He did a lot of TechPan some years back with good success and might have a tip or two.

Chris
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets see some shots John! [:-)]

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, I'm not too good at this scanning business, but here's two off the roll. The whole roll is a bit overexposed, but a few are pretty good. I'm going to have to learn how to use this camera I guess. It's strange not having a ground glass to focus on .

(note : these are negative scans - I don't really want to waste paper on these)

This first one is a front view of a building that a partner and I rent out to a small engine repair company. It's also where I pretend to work .

This second one is the view out the front door of our building. We have a bit more snow here today with about 12" on the ground from last night and today.

Next roll I'm going to reduce the development from from 6 minutes to 5 minutes and see if I get a bit less contrast. I 'spose I could also dilute a bit seeing as I'm using the D23 as a one shot developer anyway.

cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin