Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,489   Online: 1088

Thread: Dye Transfer

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Dye Transfer

I just noticed that J&C is still selling dye transfer matrix film. Is anybody still doing dye transfers? Where do you get the rest of the materials such as the dyes, paper mordant , rolling boards etc.? I did them years ago but I thought the process was dead?
    Jack B

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have a look at http://dyetransfer.org/. Also look at the Yahoo group for dye transfer.

I am planning on doing dye transfer, but with a bit of digital work for the separations, once I get my darkroom setup. You can sometimes find materials on ebay. As you noticed there is a new matrix film available, though I think only one run was made. Jim Browning mentioned that there may be another run in the future. Jim has also formulated dyes, and has found that you can get good results with regular fiber paper if you fix it out in hot fixer with alot of hardener.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dye Transfer; I was around one of the best printers there was many years ago. Some time back I started to put together a Dye Transfer darkroom in preparation for printing. I searched and emailed companies for supplies then just gave up.

If... some place had all of the materials... I would be doing it today.

I only needed everything except the Matrix Film.

Curt

If you can track down some Super-XX and and all the trimmings let me know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both Jim Browning and Ctein are doing dye transfer.

Jim has posted a complete 'kit' of dyes and papers for making them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your best bet is to join the Yahoo Dye Transfer Group - Jim Browning moderates it and if you are serious about trying dye transfer it will provide you the resource material that you will need. The group is pretty much like APUG in that there is a great deal of technical information available to you from the members and they are willing to share much like here. The process is far from dead yet with a number of people still using the process although there are only a small number that do it on a commercial basis.

Gord

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin