Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,925   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

replacement for agfa optima 120mm film?

Hi there - new to this forum having only found it after my late discovery of the demise of agfa.

I'm now desperately searching for either backstock of agfa optima 120mm 400 iso film or recommendations of a closely matching film. I'm in the middle of a long-term project during which I've shot ONLY agfa optima film and have grown to love its color saturation, sharpness, and consistancy.

The last time I shot something other than Agfa (probably about 8 years ago), it was Kodak and printing (I print all my own work) was a nightmare because every roll had a different tone to it (one roll would be greenish, one reddish) - even when they came from the same batch of film.

So, anybody know anything? Where can I find some backstock? OR what can I use this weekend on a shoot I have planned that will meet the color saturation and consistancy of agfa?

Thanks for your help... This whole thing is a big headache!

Jennifer
    (Brief intro: I'm a fine art photographer/traditional photography holdout. I still use film and I hand print all my color prints myself. My "big" project currently is carnivals with side projects of nature, kids rides, and self portraits. You can see my work if you're interested at www.thefunmachinephotography.com)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jennifer,
    that's not easy to recommend the colour negative film to switch to, but may I point to Fuji NPH400? It's a wonderful film, extremely consistent in colour balance/saturation. Personally I switched long long ago from AGFA directly to Fuji line, and I'm VERY happy - the whole range is outstanding, NPS/NPC 160, NPH400, NPZ800 and my favourite NPL160, tungsten-balanced. I print all my color negs too, and it's always the same basic filtration. Give it a try, I hope you wouldn't be disappointed. The skin tones of Fuji NP line are especially good, on my opinion.

Cheers from Moscow,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Jennifer. I took a look at your site and I love your work.

I can't say for sure that they have it in stock, but profilm.com has Optima 200 in 120 listed on their site. Here is the page: http://www.profilm.com/ViewProduct.aspx?id=100166. I have purchased from them many times and never had any problems.

Not sure that the 200 speed works for you, but I thought you might like to know.

Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    Jennifer,
    that's not easy to recommend the colour negative film to switch to, but may I point to Fuji NPH400? It's a wonderful film, extremely consistent in colour balance/saturation. Personally I switched long long ago from AGFA directly to Fuji line, and I'm VERY happy - the whole range is outstanding, NPS/NPC 160, NPH400, NPZ800 and my favourite NPL160, tungsten-balanced. I print all my color negs too, and it's always the same basic filtration. Give it a try, I hope you wouldn't be disappointed. The skin tones of Fuji NP line are especially good, on my opinion.

Cheers from Moscow,
    Zhenya
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give the Fuji NPH a try and see how it compares to the Agfa!

Jennifer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Welcome to APUG Jennifer. I took a look at your site and I love your work.

I can't say for sure that they have it in stock, but profilm.com has Optima 200 in 120 listed on their site. Here is the page: http://www.profilm.com/ViewProduct.aspx?id=100166. I have purchased from them many times and never had any problems.

Not sure that the 200 speed works for you, but I thought you might like to know.

Paul.
    Oh, thanks for the tip. I prefer to shoot with the 400 but I've used the 200 before and it's worked so I could probably go with that while I try out other films. Thanks for looking at the site - glad you liked the work! Off to order some film.

Jennifer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To look at your work I think Fuji NPC or Kodak's Ultra 100 or 400 would fit nicely.

Hi Jennifer,

For what it's worth, I noticed that Photo Central here in Winnipeg, Canada has about a dozen rolls of 120 Agfa Optima 400 and maybe 30 rolls of the Optima 100 in the fridge. probably about 4 to 4 1/2 bucks (canadian) per roll.

www.photocentral.ca

204 774-4343

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigK
    Hi Jennifer,

For what it's worth, I noticed that Photo Central here in Winnipeg, Canada has about a dozen rolls of 120 Agfa Optima 400 and maybe 30 rolls of the Optima 100 in the fridge. probably about 4 to 4 1/2 bucks (canadian) per roll.

www.photocentral.ca

204 774-4343
    Thanks I'll give them a call when I get off work!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ONLY agfa optima film and have grown to love its color saturation, sharpness, and consistancy.
    To get rid of your headache:

Fuji NPC if you like much color saturation as descriped.
    the whole range is outstanding, NPS/NPC 160, NPH400, NPZ800
    Zhenya: I can only agree with your comments. Best film: I am always using Fuji NPH for my wedding reportages and under low light conditions NPZ.

Best regards from the Netherlands and by the way: happy New Year.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I do not print my own colour prints (yet!) I have found Fuji NPH400 to be an excellent film with a great colour saturation.

They have just changed the name to Pro400 - so some places may be stocking it as that now.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin