Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,183   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Helen - looks like good advice. I rarely shoot colour negative film, so appreciate all the help I can get!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second the Kodak Ultra recommendation from Helen. It is my film of choice in both MF and 35mm as far as fast color film goes. I love the extra saturation in the colors it provides. Even a 35mm neg with this film can stand up to quite a degree of enlargement.

- Thom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    oops my message seems to have become the first in the thread!?...
    Yes, I thought it would be quite fishy that you, of all people, would be looking for suggestions on what MF color film to use. I think you settled that issue a long time ago.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A couple of weeks back I had gone thru my photo drawer coming across some old NPZ shots that I was experimenting with. I believe it was printed on Agfa, but everything looked real good and I'm sure I overexposed it by 2/3rd's. Try a roll of the Portra and the new Fuji 800 offering and see how they differ. Try also to keep a diary or a recording on changing the overexposure from a 1/3rd thru a full stop and compare differences shooting one scene. Btw, I think that b&w would do the subject good as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I went round the usual shops today (London), and there doesn't seem to be any Kodak 120 film about faster than 160. So I've got a pack of NPZ800. I'll see how that goes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I must say that when I shot a lot of color negative film, I really liked Portra 400NC. But I like subtle colors. It'll certainly be capable of imaging that kind of brightness range if you're careful. I also shot a bunch of 160VC, which didn't particularly impress me; it was nice, and all, but the speed/grain tradeoff wasn't dramatically different from 400NC's, so I went relatively quickly to Reala. NPH is the Fuji equivalent, which was fairly similar for my purposes; note that NPH changed formulation twice (now to Pro400 or something?) since then and I don't know what it's like now.

I have no experience with high speed color films, I'm afraid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had excellent results with NPZ @EI 800. No muddiness at all.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    Thanks, Eumenius. How will the NPH or NPZ hold up against the artificial lighting conditions? There will be people, veg/fruit meat etc in shot.
    NPH / Pro 400H is optimal for that because of the fourth color layer. I think NPZ / Pro 800Z has that also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin