Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,891   Online: 1150

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found a Colorstar 3000 on ebay and bought it. It is an older model with the bigger probe. The manual is also more primitive than the one referenced above.

I put it to use this weekend and had good luck matching colors with it. I did have trouble with it not being sensitive enough to measure some snow in sun (dense part of the neg). This only required an 11 second exposure so it doesn't seem like it should be a problem. I got around it by flipping the brightness lever from low to high to take the reading (and then did the same thing to match on the other negative).

I also had trouble measuring the density of the gray strip to calibrate it. Do any of you have this problem with the probe not seeming very sensitive?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only time I've had problems was with some REALLY dense cross-processed negatives. Lets just see they were so thick they'd stop a truck. All I do in that case is analyze wide open then when I stop down I adjust the time to what it should be. So if it reads 2seconds at F/2.8 I'll manually set it to 8 seconds at F/5.6 or whatever things work out to.

Not sure which point you're having trouble with the grey strip. Is this analyzing the negative? Or reading the test strip? I can't see how you'd have problems with the test strip.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    I found a Colorstar 3000 on ebay and bought it. It is an older model with the bigger probe. The manual is also more primitive than the one referenced above.

I put it to use this weekend and had good luck matching colors with it. I did have trouble with it not being sensitive enough to measure some snow in sun (dense part of the neg). This only required an 11 second exposure so it doesn't seem like it should be a problem. I got around it by flipping the brightness lever from low to high to take the reading (and then did the same thing to match on the other negative).

I also had trouble measuring the density of the gray strip to calibrate it. Do any of you have this problem with the probe not seeming very sensitive?
    Look at this article from Frances Schultz it gives you a good explanation of how to work with the Colorstar 3000. http://www.xs4all.nl/~colors/info/articles.html
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    The only time I've had problems was with some REALLY dense cross-processed negatives. Lets just see they were so thick they'd stop a truck. All I do in that case is analyze wide open then when I stop down I adjust the time to what it should be. So if it reads 2seconds at F/2.8 I'll manually set it to 8 seconds at F/5.6 or whatever things work out to.

Not sure which point you're having trouble with the grey strip. Is this analyzing the negative? Or reading the test strip? I can't see how you'd have problems with the test strip.
    Nick, that is effectively how I handled the problem, except I used the brightness lever on the Chromega head. If I need more light I will try the aperture on the lens as well.

I was having trouble reading the test strip. I followed the directions about using the enlarger as the light source. I imagine if I just use a bright lamp it will be better.

It does sound like my probe is not as sensitive as yours however. The negative I was printing would hardly be called bullet proof. In fact they print nicely on the medium contrast paper with only minor manipulations.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Harry, thanks for the link. It looks like it may be very helpfull.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got this vague memory that the older units shipped with a smaller spot probe opening. Being smaller it lets less light in. Try taking the round cover part off the top of the probe when you test the grey strip. That's assuming you're using the spot cover on the probe. If that helps maybe order the current spot cover? On the Lici website they list the smaller 4mm probe cover but I don't see the bigger one listed on it's own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin