Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,743   Online: 917

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo ATL-1000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jobo ATL-1000

Hello!

I´ve just acquired a Jobo atl-1000 from a newspaper here in Oslo (actually the last piece of analog equipment they had left).

It hasn´t been used for several years, and I wonder how I best can clean out old dried up chemicals inside it. It suspect a normal cleaning program won´t do the trick.

The unit needs a tempered water supply, a water mixing panel is preferable I guess if I can get such such a thing, but I´ve also read about using a large container with tempered water and a pump. How well does this solution work?

Thanks,
    Trond

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Trond

I bought an ATL-1000 a few months ago and have opted for the water tank, heater element and an aquarium pump to circulate the water for even temp. This works very well indeed for both E6 and B+W. I have posted info on this tank here if you do a search for it.

In terms of cleaning the machine, I am half way through cleaning out an ATL-2300 which is in a similar condition to yours by the sound of it. It is not yet plumbed in, so I have used hot water and a steam cleaner to get rid of some of the chemical deposits. There is still some carbonate around which I might remove using household water descaling solution and have also found the same stuff in a gel. I feel that this ought to be good for hard to reach places before washing off.
    Some of the bottles have the darkroom 'tar' stain on them and I bought something from Retro-photograhic (Silver Skivvy cleaner) to remove this. However it sounds like a very active compound and am therefore loathe to use it in the tanks which have the heater probes.

I shall be using the Jobo mixing panel with the ATL-2300 since it came with one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Baxter!

Thanks for the cleaning advice, I suppose there is a bit of work ahead.

I´ve now read the earlier posts. Does the water heater have a thermostat? And where do I get one (preferably on the internet)?

Thanks,
    Trond

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Trond

I bought the thermostatically controlled heater from Nova Darkroom, http://www.novadarkroom.com/ now called The Imaging Warehouse. The part number is ARHSS4 Stainless stell powerstat 375W which they recalibrated for me so that it would reach 38 deg C for the E6. This goes through the side of the container at the bottom, sealed by a rubber grommet and the thermostat is on the plug.

If you order and say that you want the same as myself, then it is a small company and so I think that they ought to have the records and check their end. That said, I have just copied all of the above from my invoice.

The water is pumped in via the submersible caravan Whale pump, which is controlled by the 1/4 inch jack plug power lead (centre pin is positive) into the back of the unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called the Norwegian distributor of Jobo, and they recommended a normal thermostatic shower mixer. So I´ve just been out buying a high quality shower mixer. It even has a safety switch which stops the temperature selector at 38 ℃! I´ll inform you on how it performs.

Trond

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I hope that it goes ok for you. You might want to arrange a bypass flow, to get it up to temp and keep the pipe length short from mixer to ATL-1000 to save it cooling down. The Jobo panel has this trickle feed to ensure that it is at correct temp. Also suggest calibrating that the unit is a true 38 deg C.

I will be interested to hear how you get on.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before you go to the expense and effort of any sort of water temping device try running it without any external temperature controls. The unit has its own internal temperature controls but it could take a lot longer to get up to temperature. Once there it will maintain the temperatures. If you are primarily interested in processing black and white film then you will likely not miss the external temping controls ... a different story for color. I used to use one of these, sometimes in the field battery powered without any external temperature control and never ruined any negs or trannies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ATL-1000 doesn´t heat the rinsing water, so some kind of temperature controlled water supply is necessary. Otherwise the film would be rinsed in cold water.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I´ve installed a bypass valve on the Jobo machine itself. It should, in theory, help to insure that the water going into the machine has the right temperature if I let the water trickle through the valve.

I´ll process some sheets of B/W today.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've developed the first batch of E-6 today. I used the Jobo E-6 kit, and it worked like a charm. The shower mixer is very good at maintaining the right temperature for E-6 (38C), but is relatively unreliabe for lower temperatures. So when I develop B/W I have to monitor the temperature more closely.

I thought I had done something really stupid when saw the slides in wet condition, and was very relieved to see them turn out normal when they had dried!

Trond

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin