Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,640   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Separation Negatives and Masking

Hello -

I need to make separation negatives from a 4x5 color transparency with my enlarger. I took the transparency to a pro lab, and asked them to measure the density range. I was given three numbers: r=1.84, g=1.99 and b=1.77. The exposure scale of the "paper" the negatives will be printed on is 1.65. Does this mean I need to make three masks, one for each negative so that each one fits the exposure scale of the paper? I've never done this before, but this is what seems to make sense. This is for a color assembly printing process, but if I were doing RA-4, which of the three density ranges would be the mask be made for?

Thanks in advance.

Eric.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A couple of books on making color separations for color assembly processes.

Pilkington, W. J. Color Separation Negatives. London, 1952.

Miles, Southworth. Color Separation Techniques. New York: Graphic Arts Publications, 1979.

See also, Mindy Beede, Dye Transfer Made Easy, Amphoto Books, 1981, for some practical ways of going about this without a lot of expensive sensitometry equipment.

And Kodak Q-7A booklet for the graphic arts. Maybe out of print but you can perhaps find a used copy somewhere.

Sandy

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that making a single mask by white light that will reduce all three colors below 1.65 will suffice. You may also wish to make a highlight mask.

I wonder if you would not be well advised to have a lab make you an internegative.

Do you have a film punch?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    san cristobal

what are you setting out to do with a color sep neg ???

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    A couple of books on making color separations for color assembly processes.

Pilkington, W. J. Color Separation Negatives. London, 1952.

Miles, Southworth. Color Separation Techniques. New York: Graphic Arts Publications, 1979.

See also, Mindy Beede, Dye Transfer Made Easy, Amphoto Books, 1981, for some practical ways of going about this without a lot of expensive sensitometry equipment.

And Kodak Q-7A booklet for the graphic arts. Maybe out of print but you can perhaps find a used copy somewhere.

Sandy
    Sandy: One of the books you list is in a bibliography I was perusing. I'll probably get that one. I have Spencer's book, which talks about masking, but it's a bit fuzzy for me.

Claire: If a lab can do all this for me, I will gladly pay them to do it. I'll pick up the phone and start calling around. I have access to a registration punch if I need one.

Eric.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't understand what you are attempting to do. Is it just to reduce the density range of your color negative?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    san cristobal

what are you setting out to do with a color sep neg ???

d
    I'm setting out to make a color print using an obsolete assembly process.

Eric.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I don't understand what you are attempting to do. Is it just to reduce the density range of your color negative?
    I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff. I need to make separation negatives from a transparency. I read that transparencies have a long density range.
    The book said that reducing the development time of the separation negatives will reduce the saturation of the colors. Supposedly a mask will lower the density range of the transparency, but the color saturation won't be reduced. I don't understand all this stuff, but I'm going to read one of the books that Sandy recommened. As I posted earlier, maybe a lab can do it all for me.

Eric.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc
    I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff. I need to make separation negatives from a transparency. I read that transparencies have a long density range.
    The book said that reducing the development time of the separation negatives will reduce the saturation of the colors. Supposedly a mask will lower the density range of the transparency, but the color saturation won't be reduced. I don't understand all this stuff, but I'm going to read one of the books that Sandy recommened. As I posted earlier, maybe a lab can do it all for me.

Eric.

I used to mask transparencies for printing on Cibachrome...I used black and white negative film to produce a low density and unsharp mask that was then sandwiched with the transparency and printed together. The effect of the negative is to reduce the density range of the positive (transparency).

The other way of doing this used to be to produce an internegative of the color transparency and this also had the desired effect.

The mask is something that should be fairly easy to do...it is not rocket science...the internegative requires a lab, in my opinion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What type of print will you be making from your separation negatives?

a chromagenic print?

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin