Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,559   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again PE. I appreciate your abilty to simplify just enough, but no more.

In case anyone else has a similar problem, or like me has gone mad in an orgy of self-doubt when chasing a light leak, I have appended two images showing the effect to this post. The first shows the effect on the pictorial content of the image, the second has has the colours and tonal scale fairly radically munged so you can see the film edge, the clip marks and the extent of the damage all at once.

Of course, this may still be a light leak. I'll report back on the lab response, if any.
    Last edited by Struan Gray; 05-27-2008 at 06:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Struan;

After seeing the actual pictures, I can say that this does not look like a classic case of 'drag' or bad agitation. It also does not look like contamination, as the usual contamination would darken the image or change its color rather than lighten it in the positive image.

You see, bleach contamination or fix contamination lowers the amount of silver developed and therefore the positive image is darker.

Also, the lightening didn't 'bloom' into the dark edge as it would with chemical contamination.

This looks more like a light leak of some sort than anything else I have ever seen.

I'm always glad to try to help or try to clarify.

PE

Shooter
    Holga
    Definately looks like a light leak, just seems a strange spot for it to apear! Would you expect to see something on the film rebate too?

I am a bit suprised the Lab hasn't picked this up either, what kind of QA do they use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks PE and LA - I think :-)

I'll do a few more tests in a couple of weeks when I'll have time off in the daytime for fooling around with cameras. I'm pretty sure I have eliminated most of the obvious things, but I want to pin this down before I head to Scotland at Easter.

The odd thing to me is how the appearance or not of these patches is mostly unrelated to how I have handled the film holder and cartridges. Also that B+W and E6 are unaffected. One option is that the leak is always there, but is only significant when expanding the low on-neg density range of my twilight Portra shots. On more contrasty media the leak may be too subtle to show up.

Ah well, I appreciate both of you chipping in, and will report back if I get a result. Even if it means tucking in to humble pie.

Shooter
    Holga
    If you can a control would be to get some film processed at another lab and see if they are the same.

Scotland is nice, we will be going up there in July for our anual trip to Arran. If you are near London give us a shout. It would be good to meet up with another analogue user

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Small world. Easter will be my first time on Arran - I'm looking forward to finally seeing the place. We are combining it with our usual run to Coigach and visit to granny in the Borders.

It would be good to meet. I keep promising myself some time in the print room at the V+A, and I have an unused voucher for tea at the Ritz I need to use up. Somehow though I don't see my wife agreeing to substitute tea companions from the APUG chaperone pool :-)

Have you seen the UK APUG get-together threads? The visit to Ilford's factory should be a great opportunity. User 'mark' also frequently coordinates informal meets in London itself.

Of course, you and any APUGers passing through southern Sweden or Copenhagen are welcome to come and visit. There are also rumours of another Nordic LF meet in Stockholm this summer. So many workshops, so little time .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Struan;

It would be unusual for hangers to be exchanged between c41 and E6. Therefore it does not surprise me that there might be a difference in 'cleaning' of the hangers of the different processes.

IDk, but FWIW, looks like a light leak problem.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An update for the sake of closure.

I think I have solved the problem. No doubt it will reappear with an Olympian distain for Hubris once I hit the 'Submit Reply' button, but after a spring and summer of testing I am now confidently using my Quickchange system again.

In short, engaging the Graflok slides after inserting the Quickchange holder has completely eliminated the odd patches, even on colour negative film shot in very flat, low light. The Quickchange holder is quite thick, and more importantly, long. I suspect that in operating the mechanism I was inadvertantly levering the holder away from the back by a tiny amount.

Thanks again to those who took an interest in my problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Thanks again PE. I appreciate your abilty to simplify just enough, but no more.

In case anyone else has a similar problem, or like me has gone mad in an orgy of self-doubt when chasing a light leak, I have appended two images showing the effect to this post. The first shows the effect on the pictorial content of the image, the second has has the colours and tonal scale fairly radically munged so you can see the film edge, the clip marks and the extent of the damage all at once.

Of course, this may still be a light leak. I'll report back on the lab response, if any.
    Hello,

This is nothing to do with the price of fish (!) and is a year late in any case, but it's nice to see by chance an image taken at my favourite bit of the world.

Struan, I've taken many pictures by this particular lochan, and would recognise Achnahaird bay and the distant profile of Quinaig anywhere! Am heading up there on a photo trip in a couple of weeks time...

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    .. it's nice to see by chance an image taken at my favourite bit of the world.
    Cheers Gavin. Coigach does tend to get under people's skins. Your handle is a bit of a give-away :-)

I used to dash up a hill once the children were asleep and sit on top sky-watching until midnight before yomping down again. Some tops, like this one, I got to the point where I could almost set up the camera using the tripod head's panoramic angle scale and a compass bearing.

That said, the kids' term times now see us going in July rather than June, and the atmospherics are less delicate and subtle, so I've been spending more time following streams and coastal clifftops. This year's almost total lack of midges meant I covered a lot of sodden ground I usually avoid, although I still haven't dared tackle the boggy patches of huddled woodland on the south side of Loch Osgaig.

From having been the sort of person who always carries three spare spoons and a backup granite sundial I now personify the middle-aged prat everyone scoffs at in the mountain rescue reports: falling into bogs in jeans and wellies at one o'clock in the morning, with no one to hear my cries, much less lift the rucksack off my head.

Have fun. When we lived in the UK, late autumn and Easter were our favourite periods to visit.

Struan

PS: the light leak hasn't reappeared, so my solution does seem to be the solution.
    Last edited by Struan Gray; 10-04-2007 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin