Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,186   Online: 1105

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Portra 800

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Now I remember why I stopped going to Photo.net.
    Yuppers, sounds about the same as the last time I visited P.Net, same ole' same ole'

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    Interesting they are using a pro film in single use cameras. Kodak portra films are great.
    Probably not. I suspect that the single use camera film (MAX 800?) and Portra 800 are quite different. The MAX films used in single use cameras were designed for extremely wide latitude, even at the expense of anything else. They will produce a printable (not necessarily good) image at anything from about EI 50 to EI 1000, but the color, gradation, and general image quality suffer. The Portra line of films has traditionally had less latitude (but still a lot), but a lot of attention has been paid to image quality.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Kodak: "the fastest professional 800-speed film on the market"

erm...

thats interesting... Maybe they should tell us just how MUCH faster it is than regular 800 film! Of course Fuji still sell the fastest 1600 colour film... ;-)

Seriously, the old Porta 800 was nice. We've used if for concert photography, and prefered it to the Fuji 800. Look forward to the new stuff.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    but a lot of attention has been paid to image quality.
    I think Portra films were developed around skintones, the rest of the colors just ended up how they ended up, pretty unique, but misused a lot by the same people that complain about Portra films.

...God I haven't used 160NC in ages, nothing brings back memories like 160NC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the Portra 160NC, in fact I just 5 bulk rolls of it from a friend that fell for the dark side, got them for a song...

I love it..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth
    Probably not. I suspect that the single use camera film (MAX 800?) and Portra 800 are quite different. ...
    I take it back. I looked at the Kodak website and at the technical data sheets for both films. They are remarkably similar. Both have a latitude of about 4 stops. Unlike the other Portra films, the color sensitization of Portra 800 is just like MAX 800, with the red sensitive layer also sensitive (at about -20db) to blue and green and the green sensitive layer also sensitive (at about -15 to 20 db) to blue. The difference between Kodak amateur and Kodak professional films used to be only that the amateur films were pre-aged for more consistent results when kept in the camera for long periods. Maybe that's the case here too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth
    I take it back. I looked at the Kodak website and at the technical data sheets for both films. They are remarkably similar. Both have a latitude of about 4 stops. Unlike the other Portra films, the color sensitization of Portra 800 is just like MAX 800, with the red sensitive layer also sensitive (at about -20db) to blue and green and the green sensitive layer also sensitive (at about -15 to 20 db) to blue. The difference between Kodak amateur and Kodak professional films used to be only that the amateur films were pre-aged for more consistent results when kept in the camera for long periods. Maybe that's the case here too.
    IDK what that 'db' is you are referring to. Never heard of it in relation to films.

Also, the myth of pre-aged film is really persistant but nothing more than a myth.

Pro and consumer films are slightly different, but pre-ageing is not one of the differences. It is mainly in pushability (see notes on this on the EK web site) and in LIK and reciprocity failure.

There is a keeping factor taken into account in the formula. There is no such thing as pre-ageing.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Pro and consumer films are slightly different, but pre-ageing is not one of the differences. It is mainly in pushability (see notes on this on the EK web site) and in LIK and reciprocity failure.
    LIK = latent image keeping?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    LIK = latent image keeping?

Lee

Yes. The typical consumer keeps film in a camera for up to a year or more sometimes in a hot car. The pro knows better. So, the LIK parameters are adjusted through changes in chemical addenda.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin