Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,436   Online: 834

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fibre RA4

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Fibre RA4

Hi guys, sorry if this is a repeat thread, point me in the right direction please, if its the wrong forum then please move. I want to do fibre RA4 prints, is there anywhere I can get any paper from? I know Kodak use to do this and Konica were doing it until recently. Now is there any small Chinese or East German manufacturer that might have taken up the slack and are working this? I have my supplier looking into this and he recollect a Japanese manufacturer were doing it but they were recently bought up by Kodak.

Shooter
    35mm
    No such luck. I would love it also. When the EP2 chemistry was introduced to the marketplace only RC marerials were available which I believe was aimed at machine processing at higher temps.

I am not certain if the papers prior to EP were fibre based or nat. RA4 paper with a finegrained lustre surface does a reasonable job of looking like an air dried fiber paper. The print longevity is much improved.

If you must have a fiber based paper then dye transfer is in your future.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    If you must have a fiber based paper then dye transfer is in your future.
    Like an Epson 2000 using Hanamuhle Photo Rag? :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or possibly this:

http://www.dyetransfer.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not found any digital printing system that matches dye transfer. I know that matrix film is avialable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have any idea about how many people do Dye Transfer printing? Are there any good books or web sites?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    Do you have any idea about how many people do Dye Transfer printing? Are there any good books or web sites?
    Jim Browning and Ctein are two who regularly do dye transfers.

See their web sites or the dye transfer web site.

PE

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Ooh, so its not a digi thing, sorry. Wow looks interesting, but looking at his website looks pretty expensive process.

So were all stuck on the fibre RA4 then? I have a chap in the UK who's looking into it, so I will get back if I find one. Just I love the texture/feel of fibre and I think I'm missing out with this on RA4. In fact RA4 seems to be dissapearing quite rapidly, wont be long befoe you can only get it on rolls

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know a lab owner who once ordered a custom run of fiber based RA4 paper from Kodak. He said they did it as a one time run, but wouldn't do it again.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, I would doubt that story.

You see, with the blix process, Kodak stopped all use of FB papers for color. The Ferric EDTA tends to stain the FB paper slightly more than the old process. In addition, the baryta gives lower dye stability compared to RC/Titanox.

Kodak wanted whiter whites and better dye stability and FB paper in color stopped.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin